1.19.2014

Barn roof...


Oh, hey! After months and months and months...I'm back. We'll talk about that later, okay? In the meantime, let's give our friends Jerry and Greg a big round of applause for complaining on New Year's Day about how long it's been since I've posted anything. My long-neglected blog was immediately added to my list of 2014 resolutions. 

Also on the list? The barn. How long have I been talking about this damn barn roof? Well, guess what?! After two years, 1 month and 3 days, we actually put a roof on that thing! Remember what it looked like before?  


The first step was removing all of the lightening rods (ahem...lightening attractors). Don't worry, we saved them all.  


This photo really tells a story. See those pieces of wood? They're the original shakes underneath 4 or 5 layers of crap.  


This poor building.


It felt like we'd save up just enough money to buy the materials and then BAM! A car would break. BAM! A job would fall through. BAM! A boiler would need to be fixed. Frustrating, to say the least. I felt a huge sense of relief when the materials were finally laying on the ground by the barn.  


I felt an even bigger sense of relief when I put beer on ice the morning of installation. A note about the beer...just try to buy our crew good beer. Just go ahead and try. Keystone Light was requested and Keystone Light was provided.   


My middle brother, PRH's brother, PRH, my dad and our friend Ben constituted the work crew. Here they are dangling unsafely on the roof. My mom, my sister-in-law and I made up the child-herding/food-making crew. The willingness on the part of our family to help, coupled with their in-depth knowledge of construction, is the main reason PRH and I are able to take on (and afford to do) these projects. We lucky and extraordinarily grateful.    

Our most basic goal was to save the structure and prevent further decay. Tearing off the existing roof would've been an enormous expense (enormous to us, at least), so my brother and dad recommended that we go over the existing roof, which we did. They installed strips of rough-cut lumber (called purlins) and screwed down the metal sheets.       


This is perhaps the last time PRH will be able to stand on the barn roof, so he used the opportunity to take some photos of the fields behind our barn. 

And some photos of our lawn, apple orchard and fire pit. People who visit for the first time are often surprised that we live on top of a huge hill. Our property sort of slopes down, so I think that photos of the house itself make it seem like we live in a valley. One visit in the winter and you'll never forget that we live on a hill.      


I took a shot of EZ E and Kicky on my brother's trailer when he put the roof on the house. I can't believe how much they've grown in just a couple of years!


Once they warmed up (!), EZ E and Kicky spent the day running wild with our friend Ben's son. I quickly tired of reminding them to stay away from where the guys were working, so I spray painted red lines across the driveway and lawn. It worked...well, for most of the day.   


This is at the end of the first day. My poor brother was really optimistic and thought that the whole job would take a weekend.


This is from the same angle a few weekends later. YAY!!! 


That, my friends, is an almost complete barn roof. We still need to trim it out, but whatever!!!

                          

I took this photo on the morning they started installing the roof. 


This was taken a couple weeks later.


Please excuse the tractor and trees, but this is what the barn looked like when they were done. Go ahead...scroll back through those before photos again. Aawwwwww yeah. I had said that we'd feel a huge sense of accomplishment when the roof was done and, much to my surprise, we actually do. We feel much less desperate to complete all of the other projects. Next on the list? Electricity and window installation.     
  

12 comments:

Diana said...

Yay! I'm glad you're back. I'd given up all blogs in order to have more of a real live life, but yours was the only one I'd missed.

Julia at Home on 129 Acres said...

Beautiful! The metal looks so much better than the patchwork that was there before. And I'm sure the barn feels better too. Thanks for sharing some pics of the property. It's nice to see a bit of the layout. And in the middle of the season of grey it's really nice to see all of that green! Glad to see a post from you. Hope you're able to share some more soon.

Julia Fain said...

gorgeous! and what an accomplishment.

Cindy Meyers said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're back! Congrats on the barn- keep up the good work!

Anna Lucy said...

I'm glad your back! The barn looks fantastic, I really enjoy seeing the progress that you have made on your beautiful home.

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

The roof looks great! And it's such a relief not to have to worry about rain, snow doing damage to the inside. I remember feeling so relieved after we replaced the roof of this old place.

beth lehman said...

the roof looks great and wow, it feels so good to tackle huge projects like that!!

last minute lynn said...

Congratulations! Your roof is beautiful. It is wonderful to see your barn being saved. Love watching your cute kids grow!

bklopst said...

Hurray!! So glad you're back in blogland!
Hope everyone is well and ok.
Quite some work you have done there:
I like the brass handles on your kitchen drawers and the barn looks great!

Cheryl Cochran said...

So glad you're back! The barn looks fantastic!

Debbie said...

So happy you are back. I was kinda getting worried. I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing all the amazing things you are doing with your place.

Trina Curran said...

Oh, those antennas or whatever they are on top...fabulouse! I'm glad you saved them. I'd put that in my living room. LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...