1.22.2013

1 year, 6 months, 2 days...


Remember this post from over a year ago? Yeah. As you can see in the photo above, not much had changed since that post. Much to PRH's chagrin, I agreed to have a local news channel film a story at our house one day this week (more on that soon). Thankfully, it was just the kick in the pants that we needed to finally finish this weird little room. My DIY project when I come home from work tonight? Paint perfectly smooth walls. Wooo hooooo! I can't tell you how good it feels to finish a personal project before the end of this month.

The floors are covered in dust and look filthy, and the rest of the house looks like a bomb went off, but I'm super happy. I constantly have to remind myself that we've only owned this house for 1 year, 6 months, 2 days. Here's a photo (before we bought the house) of the same room from almost the same angle. The floors were in rough shape; there was a door to the stairwell; the walls were a textured, cream-colored mess; and those dark wood beams seemed a bit out of place.

DIY renovation
As I've mentioned before, besides size, one of the other problems with the little room was the amount of texture; the wood beams, the wood paneling above the woodstove, the brick, the stone, and the plastered walls (you can't see the texture in this photo, but it was bad)...

DIY renovationThings started to look better once PRH knocked down the wall. The living room is still L-shaped, but we'll take care of that problem in a few years.

Patience is not one of my strong suits and, particularly now that I have an actual full-time job, the idea of actually finishing renovation projects was starting to feel a bit more overwhelming than it did before. Now that this project is nearing completion, we feel more motivated to go forward. Next project? Clean up this mess. Yikes...    
   

6 comments:

Kristin Dennis said...

I know this sounds ridiculous, but thank you for posting the pic of your trashed dining room! I have a two year old, and so our floor is littered with duplos, train tracks, and fake food. I'm always looking at blogs all envious of how sparse/clean other people's houses are. Thanks for the reminder that these are just pictures!

The Belvedere- Alyssa said...

Whoo-hoo! Yay for finishing projects! Excited to see it all painted up.

Nancy said...

Oh, how exciting! I'm sure with a cool event like that you'll find all the motivation you need to clean up and paint!

wandering said...

Thank you for this post, it reminds me once again why you're my favorite!

JJL said...

I too love the picture of the dining room mess - it's so real, and no less stylish!

Sarah said...

Its nice to see real life pictures that arent perfect! Nobody has a clean, clutter free house all the time!

Sarah=)

www.etsy.com/shop/owleyevintage

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...