12.10.2012

The front door...


I hung a wreath on our front door this weekend and, upon stepping back to admire said wreath, realized just how beat up our front door looks. Here's a photo of the door from when we first bought the house (as it turns out, our house was white underneath all of that dirt)...


I painted the exterior doors with our favorite paint (Valspar's Forest Canopy). I also painted the skirting, painted the porch, cleaned the siding, hung up an engraved Vonnegut quote, and embroidered our screen (DIY instructions are in my book). It has come a long way and the Summer door does look OK...   


In the Winter though, the embroidered screen gets replaced with a glass-paned insert that has seen better days. We really need to pop out the glass and fix the glazing, a skill that we just haven't been able to master. Does anyone have any glazing tips or sites that they'd recommend? I went on an incredible tour of historic homes in Owego this weekend and came home feeling inspired to do some work around our house. I'm ready to take on glazing. I'll share when I'm done! Keep your fingers crossed for me, okay?   

3 comments:

Lee said...

I particularly like the black lab porch ornament.

Amberly said...

That embroidered screen is ADORABLE. I've never seen anything like it before! Can't wait to read more of your blog!

Terry Arnold said...

Isn’t it surprising what a difference a new coat of paint can make? I think your door looks infinitely better in that new dark color. Bolder or darker colored doors are definitely the trend these days, and it’s easy to see why. Those colors make the door seem more animated or alive, and definitely a whole lot more interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...