12.07.2012

Merry and bright...


This feels strange to admit, but I'm a rather reluctant holiday decorator. I don't really like clutter and holiday decorations always feel cluttery to me (is it just me?!). Clutter or not, the kiddos would be so sad if we didn't have a tree and they were really excited to pull out all of the holiday decorations. We decided to put our tree in the dining room this year. Last year it was in the half-finished living room and I spent much of the holiday season thinking, "If a tree is in there, we're not going to get anything done!". As it turns out, the tree wasn't to blame- that room looks eerily similar to how it did last year. Que Sera, Sera! 

We have some serious allergies in this house, so we compensate by loading our fake tree with oodles of handmade and vintage ornaments. The kids and I spent hours trying to choose which ornaments made the cut. I love that EZ E's reindeer crown made its way to the top. 


A pile of candles on the table can be easily moved for dinner parties. I must admit that it looks really pretty lit at night...


Our Christmas banner from last year is hanging in the same spot. The letters got a little crunched, but we couldn't resist hanging it anyways...


My deer collection is on the window sills this year...


and on top of our cabinet (it's expanded quite a bit over the past year)...


The half-finished pseudo-mantle was reserved for my little tree collection. Someday I'll look back at these photos and laugh at the spackling mud on the walls and that hideous ceiling fan (here's hoping that happens next year)...


Even the chalkboard got a little dose of holiday cheer. I know, I know...I have an awful lot of holiday decorations for a self-professed reluctant decorator. Guilty as charged...


In the past, we've put up a fancy aluminum tree that belonged to my grandparents. Santa has special plans for that beloved tree this year. Here are our trees from years past: 20072009, and 2010. I'm curious...do you go crazy decorating for the holidays?   

14 comments:

Tricia said...

I love your tree! Love it. So pretty.

I think I want to put a pile of candles on my table too. Great idea.

~FringeGirl

Ashley said...

SO CLEVER TO USE VINTAGE MOLDS AS CANDLE HOLDERS!!!


I am so excited about that that I needed to yell. Time to put my collection to use...

amy h said...

The house always seems so nice and uncluttered when the decorations come down, so yes, I do see it all as clutter, too. But I can handle it for three weeks. We don't do a whole lot because the kids treat all the decorations like toys... When they are older I may rethink things.

craftchick said...

You've got me thinking of starting to get my decorations up as well. I really like holiday decorations (in fact I'm terrible at taking them back down much to my husband's chagrin as he can't stand clutter)...but I'm a bit nervous about the process this year as we have a new puppy and I have this sinking sensation that she'll think the tree is a big chew stick for her.

barbara said...

I love love your deer and tree collections!! The tree looks great too, even if it's not a real one!! I don't decorate too much since we end up spending Christmas at the beach here so my house only has a little decoration... also doesn't feel the same when it's blazing hot outside!!

Maggie said...

Your tree reminds me that I need to put my kids to work making more ornaments. I too hate clutter and mess but for some reason I go crazy decorating and baking at the holidays. It's fun to let my OCD go for a few weeks :)

Julia said...

love your deer collection! we have allergies too and have an artificial tree. little ones are so encouraging with decorating! our tree had many more ornaments on the bottom than on the top this year :)

Jenni Birchwood said...

I agree about the clutter of Christmas decorations. For this reason in the past I have tried to use a restrained colour palette so that my eyes don't hurt. However, since becoming a mother I see that every colour under the rainbow works just as well, so now I go with it! Your little tree collection is ridiculously cute!

heidi said...

I edited this year so that I only put out stuff I love and I am enjoying it so much more. I really love your deer and tree collection! Question, do those candy canes really stay neatly in that pot? At my house they would be sneaked and I would find gorgeous strings of red stickiness throughout the house. I love your inspiration-- gets me giddy with excitement for Christmas!

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

Aw glad to see your banner made a comeback- its just so cute! I don't think it looks clutered at all- but i have the same feeling.

Lisa said...

I love your deer collection, makes me want to start one too!!

Anna said...

We are renovating the whole house so I don't have my tree up yet, but I did draw one in our chalkboard kitchen :)
and I'm allergic to real trees too.
Love your deer collection!!

Amberly said...

Wow... I am in total awe of this. It makes me giddily happy! It's so different from what I always see. I especially love the deer collection and the Christmas banner - it's so whimsical!!

Paulette said...

So what I got out of this post dear A is that not only do I have to find my way there for the summer party, but now I have to come hang out at Christmas too! The tree is beautiful and all the little touches. I've gotten as far as throwing some shiny Christmas balls into my big jar of soap in the bathroom and adding a mini-tree to the sill...You've inspired me to get cracking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...