10.25.2012

Tutu how tutu...

As promised, here's a tutorial for Kicky's tutu table. I found the table above at our local thrift store for a few dollars.  The top was cute, but was scratched and sort of cheap-looking, and the base was just plain white-metal-blah. As I mentioned the other day, I saw this table on Pinterest and thought it was adorable. It was also really girly and I wanted to get away from that a bit (Kicky and I aren't really girly girls)- hence, the gray. I knew that I could make this junky little table into something better, and wanted the end result to be super fluffy and silly. I also didn't want any fabric underneath the layer of tulle. Here are the materials I used:
  • 13 yards of gray tulle 
  • 1/2 yard of fabric for the top (I used Denyse Schmidt fabric from JoAnn's- I LOVE her fabric collection there) 
  • table
  • staples and staple gun
And here's how I made the tutu table:

I put the fabric on the floor and centered the flipped the table on top of the fabric (make sure the right side of your fabric is facing out). I stapled one side of the fabric to the underside of the table and then moved to the opposite side of the table and stapled the fabric on that side, making sure to pull it tightly. I worked my way around the table top in this fashion.


See? Nice and smooth...


Once the fabric was stapled to the table top, I cut the tulle into approximately 2 inch x 24 inch strips (this would change depending on the height of your table and whether or not you wanted the tulle to touch the floor). Then I started stapling those strips to the underside of the table, making sure to cover the fabric.

I worked my way around the whole table,  periodically flipping the table over to check for gaps in the tulle.

Once I finished stapling the tulle, I flipped the table over and trimmed some of the weird-looking tulle strips...


Then, I scrunched up the tulle a little, added a cat lamp, and called it a day! So, what do you think? Do you have any tables in dire need of a tutu? Are you going to give it a go?

6 comments:

Jane said...

I love this table, Abbey! It's so fun and I agree, the gray helps balance it and keeps it from being too "girly girl"

curlygirlpress said...

I wanted a tutu table the minute I saw this. Since I have a baby boy, though, I'll have to figure out a different home for one... LOVE it! Great job on Kicky's room all around - I love the mix of art and function and toys and fun, and that it's not a typical girly-girl room. = )

Angie said...

Love the tutu table - The stapling effect could be used with other fabric, too. I love that you have the perfect lamp to top it off! (Did you upholster the base part of the bed frame, too? I love how you combined all the fabrics on Kicky's bed.)

Jennifer said...

A table that can wear a tutu will be one of the things I now search for when thrifting. This is gorgeous- thank you for the "tutu"torial!

saraH said...

I would use that for a table for my bedroom! Its cute!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OwlEyeVintage

Melissa said...

This is very creative and adorable! Love it.

<3 Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...