10.23.2012

Kicky's big girl bedroom...


Tada!!! It's Kicky's big girl bedroom! Finally. This room started as our bedroom and Kicky and EZ E shared the biggest bedroom in the house (there are 3 total). Once EZ E started school, though, he also started to want more privacy, so we changed things up. Now, it's a cheery little room for our cheery little girl. 

Above is the view from the hallway. Kicky's night stand started as a junky little metal table. I saw this and was inspired to make my own version. Since Kicky already has so much pink in her room, I decided to make my version gray and a little bit pouffier. I glued fabric to the top of the table and then stapled grey tulle underneath. If anyone's interested, I can post a tutorial on Thursday. Kicky inherited the bed from PRH's Grandmother. It looks wooden, but it's actually metal painted to look like wood. I made the pom pom garland and quilt for Kicky's 1st birthday; the vintage Japanese mobile is something I bought for EZ E before he was born; the dog painting is from a local antique store; and the tiny round painting is something I made in undergrad.  


PRH's grandma made the ceramic cat lamp in 1973 and Kicky inherited it. She LOVES it! We swapped out the shade and I painted the rug under the cat gold. Kicky meows and pets the cat lamp before bed every night- PRH's Grandma would be proud. :)  I made the doll on the bed for Kicky before she was born. Notice how it's in pristine condition...that's because Kicky could care less about it.  


Here's a closer look at the cat lamp and the table. I particularly love the cat's painted eyebrows...


Can you spot Kicky's decidedly NOT pristine favorite doll (that she named Abbey)?


This is the view from the door. The garland is from Kicky's 1st birthday. My parents gave the Educo wooden kitchen to EZ E several years ago, but Kicky uses it more than he does now. She plays with it every single day. The vintage metal fridge was a curb find; it's packed full of wooden play food. The rug is a wool remnant that we had bound when we lived in Buffalo.   


This door knob mailbox hangs on Kicky's door, ready for mail from her big brother and parents. Directions for this project are in my book. It's pretty simple and would be especially cute for Valentine's Day. 


PRH dragged this bookshelf home when we lived in Massachusetts. It's one of the few things we moved from Massachusetts to Buffalo to Apalachin to Owego. It's chippy and kind of yucky, but it's functionality outweighs all of that nonsense. The back was just painted pegboard, so I covered it up with polka dot metallic wrapping paper. Some day I'll paint it. Someday. More details: crochet flower garland from Emma LambSymphony in B. Orchestra from B.Toys; Fisher Price camera; vintage Fisher Price barn; Skip Hop Owl backpackHape wooden cash register; Todd Oldham gem crayon; red boots from Old Navy; and Piccolo Carousel Bells from B. Toys (I'll tell you more about this toy later this week- we love it!). The painting of Susan B. Anthony is from grad school and is actually an airbrushed t-shirt that I stretched over a canvas. As I've said before, I think every baby girl needs a suffragette in her room.     


We found the white ceramic dachshund in our shed and the cat came from the thrift store. It was classic 1970's orange and white, but I went a little nuts with the gold spray paint last weekend. The Miffy screenprint is by Dick Bruna. 


Don't get me started on Breyer horses. My name is Abbey and I obsessively collect Breyer horse figurines for Kicky.  


Kicky playing in the fridge. It's a miracle she has pants on in this photo.


Vintage samplers that I've collected from etsy and a PlanToys wooden toaster. Word to the wise, Kicky stuffs things in that toaster and it's difficult to get them out. Otherwise, it's a beautiful little toy. 


The horse barn...I saw it at a fantastic consignment store (Mama Goose) in Ithaca. It was $55 around Christmastime last year; I passed it up and immediately regretted it. A week later, however, I found it at Salvation Army for $20. It's lovely and it's something I'm planning to keep for our pretend future grandchildren. Kicky looks excited about it, doesn't she? 


Where are all of the ugly toys? They're in Kicky's closet. She also has heaps of costumes, stuffed animals, and clothes that live in there, too. We try to rotate toys from the attic so the kiddos stay interested in their things. It's surprising how much more they love a toy once it's been in the attic for a month or two.  


The barn is stuffed full of Breyer horses and Dora the Explorer horses. 


Let's talk about what this room looked like when we bought the house. Holy blech! It was FULL of stuff and covered in dark, 1970's faux wood paneling. We started to take down the paneling, but quickly realized that we were accidentally taking down the plaster walls with it. Rather than create a bigger job for ourselves, we just painted over the paneling. Here's the before...  


and here's a shot from the same angle. I still can't stand the paneling, but it isn't quite as noticeable now. Eventually we'll replace it...


Another before shot...


and this photo was taken on the day we closed. That thing in the middle of the floor? It's a metal patch. We painted the floors gray and then put down a wool carpet to cover the sharp metal patch. Eventually, we're planning to replace the floors on the second floor (it doesn't look it, but they're all in rough shape)..


and, again, a photo from the same angle...


Kicky loves her big girl bedroom! Now I have to work on EZ E's bedroom...oh, and maybe ours, too! It's interesting how that works, isn't it?  

21 comments:

Kim Rosen said...

Love it!!

Kate said...

Me too!

Jen said...

Oh Abbey!!! I love Kicky's room. I would love to live in a room like that. I had the same bed when I was a kid. It even had the flower basket decal. I know what you mean about the "ugly" toys. I have been trying to figure out where to put them. We have knotty pine paneling in Josephine's room that I have wanted to paint (but it is everywhere...even on the closet doors..ugh!) It looks good painted in Kicky's room. Love the tulle table too!

I am so inspired, and she must love her room!

Martha said...

Awesome! I love everything, but especially the quilt on the bed, Susan B. Anthony, and the barn. And that vintage metal play fridge is so amazing, if you ever are getting rid of it I'm only a few hours away in Alfred..... :) Thrifting is the best in Western New York!

Mommy C said...

When Aaron and I have kids - I am coming to you to decorate their EVERYTHING!!!!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Ohmigosh, I love Kicky's room!! Especially that cat lamp. My 3 year old would be giving it a hug every night too. And that curbside metal fridge - total score. Such a fun space.

Jennifer said...

WOW...awesome job...the before & afters are incredible! WELL DONE!

Heather (love your space) said...

Love that this is SO personal and quirky, rather than striving for pretty. I bet your daughter just loves every lit bit of it!

Eartha Kitsch said...

Hello, but that "before" isn't even in the same ballpark as the "after". Wow! I love it all but especially the inclusion of beautiful poppy things like that huge dog painting and the Susan B. Anthony piece. And that horse barn - wow. You outdid yourself. She's one lucky gal.

christine said...

Love it! Where are the sheets from? I'm on the hunt for some that are that color.

kristin said...

LOVE it! Kicky is a lucky little gal - love your house design posts so so much! :)

Emma Lamb said...

Oh my, her new room is amazing! Such a transformation too and I adore the colour scheme... so much fun!
So thrilled to see my wee garland has such a perfect home... thank you so much for the mention too, you are a star!
Huge hugs,
Emma, xx

The Lazy Fair said...

LOVE! My daughter is almost two and I think about ready for the big girl bed. It's making me reconsider everything--especially the toy and clothes storage. Really into the idea of hiding toys, but we have zero storage space. Did you also keep toys in storage and rotate them in when you didn't live in a ginormous farmhouse?

Ally Ann said...

ah this is a perfect children's room! I love the artwork and it's just so playful!

Christina said...

Great work! It looks like a great place for her to play and learn. Way to go!

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

Her bed looks so cozy, love the mix of quilts! What a great room, like all the stories about everything!

Lil Muse Lily said...

what a great room!!! i would be oh so happy in that room. and so would my 3 year old daughter. great job!

Umi Sushi said...

Gorgeous! Comfy, cosy, kitschy and very personal. Adore the print/ painting of the daxi and the wonderful cross stitch sampler.

Lady Cordelia said...

Holy Crap! That is amazing! Where have you been all my life? I found you via Durango Mom, who I also felt so happy to have met.
GREAT room. The feel is right up my alley and you've inspired me to do a little more work on my kids playroom today.
XO

Design Scouting said...

I love this room/transformation! Totally was obsessed with those horses as a kid. And SO true about putting toys away for awhile.

Hearts and Home said...

This room is a little girls dream!! I love the fridge for food storage, my daughter has got a kitchen in her bedroom and I was looking for an idea how to store all the bits and bobs that go with it - thats a great idea! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...