9.10.2012

Well-lived...


This week has been extraordinarily difficult and sad. PRH's Grandmother, a wonderful woman whom PRH and I both adore, is very ill. As is always the case when I'm upset about something, I haven't been sleeping well. I had been up for hours by the time I took these photos early yesterday morning. I stood in our yard alone, looking over the foggy hills that surround us, and thought not only about the ephemerality of life, but also about continuity. Living in a 130-year-old home is a subtle, daily reminder that life is short- many have lived here before us and, hopefully, others will live here after us. I've never been one to find comfort in the quiet of mornings- yesterday was a notable exception. Later that afternoon, as PRH and I walked out of the hospital doors, we slowed to watch a new mother trying to calm her tiny, crying infant. There again, a beautiful little reminder of the continuity of life...a reminder that the end for one is matched by the beginning for another.


Here's to an incredible woman and to a life well-lived. In her honor, I hope you'll hold your babes a bit closer today.       

13 comments:

Laurie in Georgia said...

Well said, Abbey...love to you and yours...

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

Love you, friend.

The Belvedere- Alyssa said...

Hope that you find peace, it is so hard to let go of someone so special.

Angela said...

sorry to hear about this! you are right on with your thoughts about life continuing. an old house like that has so much history behind it, and hopefully a lot more ahead.

Paulette said...

Oh Abby, I'm so sorry to hear. My grandma passed away in April and though I hadn't seen her in many years (she lived in Trinidad), she was such a huge part of my life that there's a huge hole in my heart that I don't expect to shrink any time soon. Sending you all hugs and peace and grace my friend. -- P.

e.horn said...

I was sitting outside this morning drinking my coffee, taking in all the simple beauty around me. A rabbit nibbling grass, birds singing and eating from my feeder, the sun slowly coming up, flowers vining up my trellis. It's in times like these that the words "be still and know that I am God" keep entering my mind and bringing me comfort.

chiara said...

I'm so sorry to hear that.

That top photo is so lovely, I keep going back to look at it.

How2home said...

So sorry to hear about this. Our prayers are with your family.

Översättningar said...

The house, the garden amazing!
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Linda

Sarah Buttenwieser said...

The poignancy of that moment in the hospital along with the images from the soft morning... the tenderness comes right through. Thinking of you all.

Karyn said...

Grandmothers are such a special lot aren't they? All of my best to you and PRH as you walk through this part of life.-Karyn

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Beautiful post with wonderful photos. Love your lovely thoughts and beautiful connections. I would hope someone would remember me so tenderly when at last I fall.

Katherine said...

love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...