9.06.2012

Owego...


I'm happy to report that EZ E's first day of kindergarten happened without incident. He had an excellent day! As soon as he stepped off the bus, I realized that I had been holding my breath the entire day. I was definitely anxious about him going to kindergarten, but I also spent much of the day thinking about last year. I'm sure many of you remember that Owego, our beautiful little hometown, suffered a catastrophic flood that started on the first day of school one year ago. We had dropped EZ E off at his first day of preschool, only to turn right around and pick him back up. You can see photos here, here, and here. We were without electricity or running water for days, which was nothing compared to the friends and neighbors who lost  absolutely everything. The elementary school was completely devastated and remains uninhabitable one year later (plans to rebuild are in the works). BUT...Owego survived and has rebounded from the devastation of that natural disaster. This weekend we'll be celebrating the progress our community has made with a block party on Friday night (Tioga Turns the Tide). If you're in the area, please join us!

1 comment:

Julia said...

I just stumbled upon your blog via A Beautiful Mess and was so surprised to see you live in Owego. I grew up in Endicott, but now live in Austin, TX. I always say I don't miss Upstate New York that much, but your photos kind of make me miss it a bit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...