8.27.2012

From yellow to blue...


Do you remember this cabinet? We bought it when we lived in Buffalo and used it at the little house we rented- it used to be bright yellow. I've noticed over the years that the homes I like best on blogs and in magazines all have a consistent color palette. With that in mind, I've made a conscious effort to tone down the color palette at our farmhouse- I wanted the blues, greens, and the whites of the farm/exterior to be reflected in the interior. A few weeks ago PRH moved the yellow cabinet into the dining room, but the color was really jarring. Instead of making him move it out again, I grabbed a can of navy blue paint and set to work painting the outside of the cabinet. Done! As much as I love the turquoise cabinet that was there before (and that's now being used in our upstairs bathroom), the scale of this cabinet works better with the room. I'm not sure about the yellow interior, but it's going to stay until I can make a commitment. The inside houses all of our little collections- my favorite green rock from Cape Cod on a hand-turned wood pedestal...  


birds nests, a 1980's plastic charm necklace, a little sculpture one of my brothers made, that weird little figurine, and a Betsy Walton print... 


On top of the cabinet is my painted globe, a drawing of EZ E by Shelley Weber, my favorite photo of Kicky, a crocodile head that the kiddos love (thanks, Dad...blech), and some ceramic gourd sculptures from an artist we went to undergrad with...


The cabinet also houses a small sampling of my out-of-control zine collection...


I also re-covered all of the pillows on the window seat. The kids come downstairs in the morning and curl up on the window seat while PRH makes breakfast. It's pretty adorable. 


And here's a look at the whole cabinet. Here again I find myself saying, it's not something I'd normally buy, but that makes me like it even more. Clearly, Kicky likes it, too. 

10 comments:

frecklewonder said...

it looks amazing, lady!!!!!

seriously - NICE WORK!

beth said...

I really love the painted globe!

Unknown said...

Noticed the rug is back under the table.....
The cabinet looks good. I like the surprising pops of color around your house, like the doorbell.

Paulette said...

Looks great--I think navy might be my new favorite color, esp. this fall. I like the yellow inside--it's like having an unexpected burst of sunshine!

kristin said...

oh yes, i love the blue and love how i can just barely see you in the copper light fixture in the first photo! kicky is sure growing up, too. sheesh!

jessica wilson said...

the navy looks more slate on my screen but i love it anyway! it's bold and unassuming with a lot of character tucked inside. i like the yellow, makes the inside seem like a mysterious house with secret passages. i'm super jealous of your window seat. thank you for sharing all the goodies around the farmhouse. i'm loving yer adventure!

The Belvedere- Alyssa said...

Love this color! We've been unconsciously been sticking to a bright white, blue, and wood furniture scheme. Makes it easier to switch things from room to room.

Show us the upstairs bath!

SaylorMade said...

Does the yellow clash with the blue? In the pictures I find it looks like a warm gold and it looks really nice together. I'd keep it just as it is!

sara mansfield said...

Um, I know this post is about the cabinet, but that charm bracelet just gave me a flashback to 2nd grade when I slept over at my friends house and her brothers made us watch Nightmare on Elm Street and the next day we went to a weird market where they had a thousand charms.

Anyway, I'm really into blue and gray these days...gray would look nice instead of yellow on the inside. The yellow is funky cool though.

Rachel said...

Love the navy bookshelf and all of it's creative accessories. Painting and decorating are some of my favorite hobbies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...