7.16.2012

Rain heavy at times...


We spent all day Saturday cleaning 1/4 of the first floor of the barn. We were going to clean the hayloft (future party space), but decided it would be ridiculous to keep stomping through piles of garbage to get to that space to clean. So, the first floor won out.

According to our deed, half of the barn was built in the late 1880's and the other half (where we cleaned) was built in the early 1930's. The 1930's side is where the previous owners, Jim and Christine, kept miniature goats, sheep, rabbits, and where Jim had his woodshop. As you can imagine, due to years of neglect, it was pretty disgusting. After hours and hours of cleaning, we did find a lot of interesting things, all unscathed by mold and water damage. My favorite find? A stash of diaries that Jim kept for 10 years (1976-1986), documenting the weather, births and deaths, how many times he mowed the lawn, etc. That kind of obsessive behavior really speaks to me- I tend to be a bit obsessive, and find it fascinating when other people are as well. How awesome does the "Gomer Jones sale" sound? I'll share photos of the space we cleaned tomorrow. Happy Monday!


7 comments:

Megan said...

What an incredible find!

My grandfather who passed away when my dad was six had journals like these. They mostly had comments about his summer job working in an orange grove, or which buddies he shared drinks with one night, or that he took the train to visit my grandma. I, too, think the snippets of daily life are fascinating and they helped me get a better sense of what my grandpa was like when he was young and dating my grandma!

susan heggestad said...

I have a pretty wonderful collection of journals like this, as well, found by my mom and given to me... they were my great-grandmother's, and they're just as full of chicken-scratch as these look to be. Most of them are pretty illegible, but seem to recount things like how many eggs she collected on a particular day, who came by and bought eggs from her, what kinds of pies she made and sold, the weather, farm conditions, yada yada. Which start to make me wonder if they aren't more of a garden journal than a diary, in the traditional sense? At any rate, I've scanned pages and incorporated them into my prints. I especially love the pages where she's gone back, to make the most use of the paper, and written in the small spaces above each line of her previous text, sometimes writing backwards to differentiate the entries. Weird.

Ashley said...

What a neat find!

abby said...

What a fantastic find! I love treasures like this. Megan and Susan have great stories as well. These journals offer a neat glimpse into the past.

Anonymous said...

You can just tell by the photos that there are more treasures to find in that barn. I still have a bunch of old keys from a great uncle's barn that I found about 50 years ago. Keys and the memories of the hunt go together. Keep on "cleaning."

Anna said...

oh wow, my dad keeps notebooks like this, and that handwriting looks crazy similar to his (must be a farmer thing to print in all caps). His document when the cows come in heat, the days he planted what, replacing parts on tractors, etc. Love that you featured these today, and brought back those memories for me.

Anna said...

these look so much like my dads notebooks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...