5.14.2012

Poppies...


I was rushing out of the house on Saturday morning, when this huge red poppy caught my eye and made me slow down a bit. Isn't it gorgeous?! Since I'm relatively new to gardening, I feel very fortunate to have walked into a property like this. I've been anxiously waiting for plants to bloom, hoping to identify what's growing here. I know we have these all of these flowers and a bunch of apple trees, and I was thrilled to see big, orangey-red poppies! The people who owned this house before us clearly loved to garden. These poppies live in a flower bed by our back door. The flower beds were overgrown and hideous, so I took out the old wooden boards and stripped out a lot of weeds (you can see the before images here). Thankfully, I left the poppies alone.


Here's what the flowers beds looked like in the rain this morning. PRH set those plastic pots in there until he finds a spot (they're lilacs and stonecrop). The beds are still a work in progress, but we're getting there. I'm hoping that stump grows back- my uncle cut it down when he was fixing the chimney, but I have no idea what it is...something thorny. 


On the left side, we have poppies, lavender, hens and chicks, and daffodils.  


I can't wait to see what else arrives.

8 comments:

ncy said...

love the poppies!love the post! so summer feelings..=)



http://theprojectncy.blogspot.com/

curlygirlpress said...

I love these poppies! Just this morning I saw a patch at the corner of a yard, bright pops of orangy-red surrounding a tree and thought "I need some of those for my yard." Lucky you. = )

Julia said...

isn't that the best? discovering plants as the seasons arrive? we're in our third summer in our home and i'm still discovering (mostly because i never remember what's where!). we just bought some poppies at a plant sale last weekend- beautiful salmon colored ones (oriental i think) and can't wait to plant them. i wasn't sure where, but now i'm thinking maybe next to my lavender :)

Julia at Home on 129 Acres said...

Your poppy is gorgeous! We're in the same situation as you of waiting to see what comes up out of the ground at our new place. However, we've not done any weeding yet, so pretty much all I can confirm are irises, lily of the valley, ferns and a whole bunch of dandelions.

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

I have a black thumb. Seriously. So I appreciate any beautiful flowers or gardens when I see them. LOVE your poppies!
PS...check my post to see the old pop crate in action on our dining room table. Its perfect!
It was great getting to finally meet you in person:)

leFiligree said...

all that AND a birds nest?!

looks like you have sempervivums too.

joy olivia said...

Eeeee! The poppies are gorgeous. We're in peonies season here. Spring is so much fun. Thanks for sharing a preview of your garden.

How2home said...

just came across your blog and its so beautiful! love all the photos you've posted :) did you grow any herbs in your garden by any chance?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...