5.03.2012

National Train Day...

 

Did you know that next week is National Train Day? One of my fondest memories is taking an Amtrak train across the U.S., starting in Syracuse, New York and ending in Grand Junction, Colorado. The opportunity to see so much of the country from a train was honestly what made it one of the most memorable trips I've ever taken. At every big city stop, we'd tour around the city with people we met on our journey, which proved to be really interesting and really fun. That level of congeniality amongst perfect strangers is something that I've never witnessed during any other mode of travel. Amazing!

Our friends at B. toys are celebrating National Train Day with Amtrak by giving away a set of Stackadoos so children can build their own trains. Just leave a comment, telling us the place you'd like to visit next! I'll randomly draw a name and announce the winner on Saturday, May 12th! Here are some more details about National Train Day:

Join Amtrak on Saturday May 12th, in celebration of National Train Day and learn about all the different ways trains touch the lives of people and families around the country! 


The celebration will take place at train stations in New York City, Philidelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles, as well as numerous other stations throughout the country. The events will feature live entertainment, interactive exhibits, culinary demonstrations, kid's activities, model trains, tours of Amtrak freight and commuter cars, and private railroad cars! To find an event near you visit: national train day


National Train Day marks the 143rd anniversary of the creation of the nation's first transcontinental railroad. On May 10, 1869, in Promontory Summit, Utah, the 'golden spike' was driven into the final tie that joined 1,776 miles of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railways, forever transforming the face and character of America.



 ♥ giveaway rules: 
eligibility: open to all Aesthetic Outburst readers, worldwide 
how to enter: leave a comment on this post (one comment per person, please) 
entry deadline: comments will close on Friday, May 11, 2012 
winner selection: 1 winner will be chosen at random 
winner notification: On Saturday morning, I'll announce the winner. 
claiming your calendar: send me an email at hownowdesign (at) yahoo (dot) com with your mailing address and I'll pop your Stackadoos in the mail! Winners must respond within three (3) days of notification or forfeit the prize, in which case an alternate winner will be selected.

30 comments:

Missy said...

I remember loving these cool little blocks many years ago. I would love to introduce them to my little boy Gus, who not only digs trains, but likes to put things together and take them apart.

Jill said...

I'd love to visit Montana...it's just an overnight train ride from Seattle!

Jessica said...

not sure where i want to go, but i've always wanted to sleep on a train. i think my son would enjoy that too (and the stackadoos!) thanks for the giveaway!

Bethany said...

Ooh fun. I've always wanted to take a train trip as an adult. I have fond memories of a train trip from SC to NYC as a child. Maybe I should repeat the journey again. And maybe when my own daughter is big enough to tag along.

iamrobyn said...

I love trains! The one from Vancouver to Seattle is always a favorite...

Brooke said...

I want to visit NYC! Every small town girl should visit the big city at least once in their lifetime! My son would love to make a choo choo out of those blocks!

Gretchen said...

I would love to take a train trip through the Rocky Mountains! I don't care where I end up, otherwise!

Gretchen said...

I would love to take a train through the Rocky Mountains! I don't care where I end up!

Tammy said...

We have two little ones who LOVE trains! I would love to ride a train through the rockies.

Sara said...

Oh, I am very jealous of your trip across the country - I would LOVE to take a train to the Pacific northwest. I want to go to Seattle & Portland sooo badly! :)

Nikki B said...

I love train rides! I have always wanted to ride in a sleeping car.

Patricia said...

Count me in Abbey, I'm a total train nerd! I'd love to win these for my twin nephew and niece, who are turning two (!) at the end of this month.

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

Last summer we toured New England(GORGEOUS!) so Id love to see some of the southern states this summer if we can make it happen.
On a side note, I'm envious of your train ride trip. My dad used to work for Sperry out west when he and my mom were first married. He gave it up b/c my mom refused to move out there with him; I think its always something he's missed since then. He just lights up when he talks about working on them so Id love to take a big trip on one some day:)

Joy Fisher said...

I've heard that you can take the Amtrak night train from Seattle and end up in White Fish, Montana. I absolutely want to do that when my kids are older. I think it will be so cool. I've also been saying we should jump on the train and go to Portland (from Seattle) for the weekend. Portland is so much fun!

jacki said...

a train ride to visit family in st.louis!

Cassie said...

So cute - we love B. Toys. We'd love to take a train up from DC to NYC. Maybe one of these days...

Kelly Kilmer said...

I often dream of traveling across the U.S. via train! Someday I will make this a reality.

In the meantime, my little nephew is obsessed with trains just like my (now 15 year old) son was. He would love the Stackadoos. I had something similar as a kid and was quite obsessed with them.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Christine said...

I hear train travel is the way to go with kids. As a new mom I wonder if a train ride from Baltimore to Arizona would be easier than a 5 hour plane ride?

Lesley said...

I would love to travel to Paris - altho I don't think a train can take me from San Francisco :)
Thanks for the chance to win.
lesley(dot)zinn(at)gmail(dot)com

christine said...

I would love to go to the east coast. I haven't been since I was in high school and my husband has never been.

Anna said...

I would love to visit South Dakota.

I don't know why, but I want to see Mount Rushmore. I want to take tons and tons of pictures of it.

Oh and I would love to win these blocks for my granddaughter Lily Rae, she would love them!!

Hanna said...

I'd like to go to New Orleans or back to the southwest.

ace faced said...

Seattle! I am taking a train trip there in a couple weeks, I can't wait! It will be my first time :)

JJL said...

Lovely to hear about national train day. don;t know if we have one in the UK. Coincidentally we are taking the tiny monsters to the East Anglian Railway Museum this weekend at Wakes Colne and Chappel Railway Station (Essex-suffolk border. Glorious countryside). For the princely sum of £5 you get a go at driving a steam train (imagine!). "Be a Driver for a Fiver". I'm There!

The Ferguson Family said...

My son loves trains! In Ohio, we have a scenic railroad we take to get our Christmas tree every year. A cross country train trip out be awesome.

Hanna said...

When we lived in Scotland for a year, one of my favorite memories of things we did was stay in a train car hostel in Glenfinnan. No train ride since has quite measured up to riding over the Glenfinnan Viaduct (which you'd recognize from the Harry Potter movies)!

Lesley said...

Id like to visit Paris but Im not sure a train could get me there from San Francisco :)

marla said...

i would LOVE to take a train through the canadian rockies.

Rochel S said...

I have always wanted to go on the trains that have rooms for sleeping! I would love going on a train through the Rockies! And my son would LOVE the Stackadoos! i remember playing with these toys when I was a kid! (I think my mother still has those original ones stored away!)

Mary said...

My first train trip with my son was NYC to Boston when he was almost two. We had a blast. I love train travel and he has been asking for another train trip (tired of all the airport travel at almost 4!). I want a sleeper car, always have and will one of these days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...