5.01.2012

Myra...


Our super-talented friend, artist Myra Greene, has been working on her photo project My White Friends for the past five years. German art publisher KEHRER VERLAG is interested in publishing the book (yay!!!) and Myra needs our help bringing the book to life. This project is near and dear to my heart not only because I love Myra and know she's talented, but also because she's brilliantly photographed so many of our favorite people. I literally watched the video over and over again last night (and then stalked Myra's facebook page), missing our friends. But I digress. Here's Myra's description of the project:

My White Friends extends my 10-year exploration into photography’s description of race. This body of images explores the challenges of describing whiteness and assumptions about social circles. For this body of photographs I ask those close to me who identify as white about the qualities of their racial identity. These color images depict confidants, mentors and peers who have shaped my understanding of identity even though we have different racial profiles. They are attempts to image a racial category that has an intangible description. Some images are documents of my time with friends, others are performances of whiteness by the sitter, and then there are images in which I impose my own stereotypes of whiteness.

Now, go watch the video, check out the photographs, and please consider joining PRH and I in supporting our friend Myra.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great project! looking forward to seeing the book when it's published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...