5.16.2012

Creativity and kids...


At the barn sale*, I had a conversation with Sarah from Handbags*N*Pigtails about encouraging kids to be creative. She found an old Pepsi crate and was planning to use it to store her kiddos' art supplies. EZ E and Kicky draw a lot. I think part of the reason they do is because we keep art supplies within easy reach. Most of the time, everything is just right on the table...paper, scissors, glue, tape, markers, crayons, etc.

We also have wires on our kitchen wall where they can display everything they make. I clean everything off once a month or so to make room for new artwork, stashing the favorites away in a tote (ahem...a drawing of me with pointy boobs and a big belly, anyone?).


Yes, moments like this do happen occasionally, but it's really not a big deal, is it? She looks good blue.


I'd love to hear how you encourage your kiddos (and yourself!) to be creative.

*the best part of the barn sale was meeting so many of you! Wow! I was seriously shocked (and thrilled) that so many blog readers showed up. I hope the "real Abbey" didn't terrify you all.

11 comments:

Hanna said...

How do you keep the little ones from drawing on the walls and the furniture? I've had so much trouble with this with my two-year-old twins that I gave up and put all the art supplies on a high shelf. They only get to draw, paint, and cut with supervision. It's kind of the opposite of parenting style I want, but I also want to keep my security deposit . . . Would love to hear suggestions.

Jessica said...

My little one isn't old enough to draw yet but I love your little art wall. What kind of wires did you use if you don't mind me asking? Ikea? I love your blog! It's a breath of fresh air compared to so many other blogs I read. :)

Karen said...

This is true for adults too. If you spend as much time setting up and cleaning up, you won't get as much creative time in. A dedicated space for creativity, i.e. a studio is best, even if that space is a closet or a damp basement.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Hanna- it'll happen. 2 is still little- don't worry, eventually they'll stop coloring on the walls. :)

Jessica- thank you SO much! I wrote a how to post for life: styled about the wire display. :)

Karen- agreed!

x,
Abbey

katy b said...

Question: I see colored masking tape in the picture. What brand is it? Is it sticky?

Okay, more like a sentence and two questions...

I've been looking to buy some but keep seeing reviews about it not being adhesive enough!

Thanks!

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

The girls LOVE their new spot for their art stuff. Loving that your crate already has dividers in it:)
I just got done organizing my sewing studio and making it more of an inspiration for me to get back in there.
The play will happen and be over with tomorrow night and then I'll be back to sewing for ME, instead of costumes.
Have a great day!

didi said...

What a great idea to have a wire in the kitchen for the kiddos personal gallery to display their work. I'm making a note on that one. Love it!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

katy b- it's colored masking tape that I found at our local dollar store. Unfortunately, it isn't marked, so I'm not sure what brand it is. It's very sticky (esp. compared to washi tape).

:) A

Mary said...

For the drawing on the walls, buy a " magic eraser" from the mr clean company. They really are magic at restoring walls to prior states

Anonymous said...

If they draw somewhere they aren't meant to just get them to help clean it off - doen't have to be a big deal, just woops not meant to be there, help mummy clean it off. Only needed to do it a few times.

Andria Crowjoy said...

It was great to meet you, now you're much less intimidating. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...