4.16.2012

Vineyard in the works...

vineyard
vineyard
This weekend was truly a dream come true for PRH. While I painted the future chicken shack (photos coming soon), he planted four corot noir grape vines, marking his first steps towards a vineyard. The plan is to expand the number of vines each year, but he's thrilled that he got a start this weekend.

vineyardKicky, our very serious observer...

vineyardOne down, three more to go...

vineyard
vineyardOur blueberry bushes also came in the mail and, in addition to the seedlings PRH has already started, we picked up asparagus, onions, and brussels sprouts. Even as a self-proclaimed city-mouse, I have to admit that things are really shaping up around here. What city mouse wouldn't be won over with homemade beer, wine, and cider always on hand?

6 comments:

Andria Crowjoy said...

May I inquire about what you did to prep for the grapes? We finally fenced our duck escape route and I'm thinking to sink some vines there. Did you just pop yours into holes or is there extra good stuff in there?

Nancy said...

Yum...so jealous! I am a country mouse stuck in the city for now with a cement slab out back. Hahah. Every year I say I'll pot some veggies, but so far haven't!

Anonymous said...

Andria, I dug to 24" and added a mix of manure/compost and potting soil to the hole before planting. I also lined the edges of the hole as I added amendments with broken glass to fend off the many moles and vols that we have in our yard. Good Luck - Phil.

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

Wow! You guys are seriously living the dream, your lives just keep getting more interesting! You're so lucky to have family surrounding you to have share all this with. Can't wait to see and hear about your garden all summer long!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Andria- I probably would've just plopped them in the ground. Phil worked at a winery for a while, so he went with what they do. The glass part makes me feel a little nauseas.

Nancy! You can come visit anytime! ;)

Thanks, Alyssa! You're too sweet!

Andria Crowjoy said...

Thanks Phil! Thanks Abbey!

The glass is brilliant, I never would have thought of that and I bet my fruit trees would have done better for it too. Plenty to scavenge on the historic burn spot too. Whoo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...