4.17.2012

Chicken coop...

chicken coopThe future chicken coop is finally painted and completely cleaned out. Yay! We still have to fix some trim on the doors and do something with the roof, but otherwise we're in good shape. Here's what the shed looked like before- your standard, cheapo red shed from a hardware store...

chicken coophere's a mid-paint shot...

chicken coopOne of our goals was to make the building recede into the trees. Prior to painting, this ugly little shed was the first thing you'd notice as you pulled in our driveway. Now you hardly notice it...

chicken coop

chicken coop
chicken coopThe paint color is Valspar's Forest Canopy Green, the same color as our kitchen cabinets and all of the exterior doors on our house. In certain light it looks black, but it's really a deep green. I think we'll probably paint the barn this color...

chicken coopThis little gold bird is hanging above the door, a sort of welcome sign for birds...

chicken coopOther posts about the chicken coop can be found here, here, here, and here. Now we just need to get chickens. Funny how I couldn't have imagined saying that a couple of years ago.

8 comments:

chiara said...

Oh, it looks so great! And that little bird is a jewel on it.

wandering said...

It looks great! I love how painting it dark gives it a modern update as it conceals it. I also love that you added that little bird, it's a quirky detail that makes it yours.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks so much! I was going to put the bird on the playhouse, but decided the chickens NEEDED it. :)

Anna said...

Wow, surprised just how much more I like the new color than the old--I had never minded seeing red sheds/barns, but now I see a big difference. It looks great!

crazy rabid squirrel said...

I also just painted my chicken coop (which was a garden shed) a deep chocolate brown. It matches our barn and our exterior doors. We started raising chickens in 2009. We've grown our small operation fom 2 hens/1 (very violent) rooster to 14 hens/25 chicks. Today we took the next leap and bought 2 beef calves to grass feed.

I could talk all day bout chickens.

gail said...

It's really pretty but I hope you saved the gutters! (You can paint them, too.) Without them, that little building will rot away in surprisingly few years.....

Anonymous said...

my favorite kind of post. nice job.

Andria Crowjoy said...

Hey, if you're interested in a starter flock (roo, 2 hens already laying) let me know. We'll be looking to rehome a few like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...