3.29.2012

Starting the garden...

garden book
garden bookIt's that time of year again- when I obsessively pore over the book Smith & Hawken Garden Structures by Linda Joan Smith, and dream about beautiful gardens (you can see a few more images from the book on Poppytalk). Thanks to PRH, our vegetable and flower gardens are officially started. We have seedlings and clip lamps everywhere (note for next year: build cold frames or a greenhouse). If you were to stop by for a visit, this is what you'd find...

garden
garden
gardenAnd you'd see PRH outside with his old-timey machine, ripping up the yard...

gardenHe bought this for himself as a housewarming gift. It's called a Simplicity Walk-Behind Garden Tractor, but the old man that sold it to him called it 'the shoulder shaker'. It's certainly been interesting watching from the sidelines. I guess this is how beautiful dream gardens get started?

9 comments:

laurie mc. said...

I've always wanted a greenhouse, too...I had a great greenhouse built from salvaged windows bookmarked, but I can't find it anywhere! Do a google image search for "salvaged window greenhouse"--some beautiful examples come up. There are some nice examples of cold frames, too. That might be a nice way to start...

chiara said...

oh that picture of your woodstove is great. I love all the life sprouting around it, saying Goodbye Winter! Hello Spring!

Meagan :: Mo Pie, Please said...

Our garden is getting started as well. Tomorrow we're buying cedar and building our raised beds. We've got seedlings sprouting in the basement with shop lights hung closely above. And everything else is ready to go as soon as we get that bed built! I can't hardly wait!

Frankie said...

Love your seed sprouting set up! Those tomato seedlings are looking great.

Carrie said...

There's garden dreaming going on over here, too! Love seeing the seedlings and looking forward to seeing your garden as it progresses.

Unknown said...

My grandpa always kept a huge garden full of berries and veggies. I always was impressed at the size and grandeur of it all. A wonderful thing, really to cultivate life in designated areas- directing life at one's own doing :)

-------> Chad

Eat My Scabs said...

Holy Tolido! When it comes to gardening you do not mess around. I can't believe all those starts in your front room! I live somewhere warm so I've harvested the winter garden and am prepping for the spring/summer garden. Good luck, looks awesome!

Karyn said...

Looks promising!

Thanks for including the link to buy the book. It's been on my wish list for ages, now it will be on my gardening bookshelf.:)

Jan | Poppytalk said...

Wow, check out your seedlings! It's going to be amazing I'm sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...