3.05.2012

Lost opportunities...

artist
For me, running into old friends at the grocery store is an unexpected perk of small-town living. One of the oddest things about returning to live in the town where you grew up is hearing about tragedies in real-time. Unbeknownst to me, living 4 hours away acted as a filter for bad news. Every kind of news travels fast around here, though. The tragic death of an old, dear friend hit pretty hard this weekend, and I almost immediately thought of this image by Robert Montgomery (found via designworklife). It's a sentiment I've found myself really considering this week.

Rough around the edges is a pretty fair description of my friend. Most importantly, however, the friend I knew was loyal, kind, supportive, and smart. We had lost touch over the years and I've spent the last few days regretting losing the opportunity to reach out. I've also come to the conclusion that living with regret is definitely not where I want to be. In honor of the friend I knew- the one with an infectious laugh, huge smile, and sweet soul- I'm going to work harder to keep in touch with the people I care about. And maybe, just maybe, this is an opportunity for you to reach out to an old friend and tell him how much you adored him.

8 comments:

A Beautiful Party said...

I'm sorry for your friend. That is a wonderful quote. I hope you're doing well.

Anonymous said...

I am reaching out to YOU! Love you Abbey!!!! Friday night? xo
Brandie

Anonymous said...

I am reaching out to YOU today because I heart you Abbey!!!

Will I see you Friday?

xox
Brandie

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks so much, Ann! xo

BJC- You will definitely see me on Friday. I wouldn't miss it! Love you.

-Abbey

laurie in georgia said...

So sorry about your friend...

Thank you for the reminder to reach out...we can get so caught up in our day-to-day goings on that we lose sight of the big picture. I have a long list of old friends I'd like to reconnect with. Better get started...

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

Sorry for your loss. We lost a close friend earlier this year- it really shows how important people are whom you take advantage of. It also shows you how important your time is, and how it should be spent doing things you love!

Really like this message.

Jen Craun said...

Abbey, so sorry to hear of your loss. What a sweet post, and perfectly partnered image. Relationships letting go + maintaining has been central for me this year. This post is a sweet reminder to be more intentional.

sécia said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am no stranger to loss and it takes time to mourn. Your post is very inspiring and makes me want to make a few phone calls...

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...