3.07.2012

High five...

My five favorite things from around blogland (the cultural institution edition). I'm curious- what are your favorite museums/cultural institutions?

carle museum
    1. The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, Massachusetts. Not only is this museum gorgeous inside and out, seeing original images from some of your favorite books is an incredible experience.
    2. MASS MoCA in North Adams, Massachusetts is one of my favorite places to visit. They had me at 'renovated factory'. (photo by Photo by Kevin Kennefick)
mass moca
    3. The Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, New York is a microcosm of awesome. A world-class museum practically right in our back yard? Yes!
corning museum of glassalbright knox
    5. Visual Studies Workshop holds a special place in my heart. I took classes there as an undergrad, and the love affair continues to this day.
vsw

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live north of Chicago, so many of my favorites are there: The Art Museum (and all the other museums), the fun neighborhoods, and especially walking past/touring buildings by well-known architects like Frank Lloyd Wright.

minouette said...

I remeber both the Albright Knox and the Corning museum from school trips to NY state when I was a kid. They both impressed me.

arajane said...

here in seattle one of my favorite places to visit is the frye art museum, a beautiful tiny space with an amazing collection and always-interesting exhibits. a new favorite in nyc is the neue galerie, which houses 20th century german and austrian art. this will be the first place i visit the next time i'm in new york. i'm also a fan of the getty in la, because it's just simply a gorgeous place to be.

brianne said...

I happen to really like the museum of the earth in ithaca as well. The architects did such a great job of integrating it with the site, which is both interesting to look at and relevant to the program.

gretchen said...

I love the Albright Knox and we go everytime I'm back home. I still need to get to the Birchfield Penny sometime too. I've heard it's great.

neryl said...

I didn't know an Eric Carle museum existed...cool! I'm from Australia but I've visited the international folk museum in New Mexico which was awesome. As for galleries, you gotta love Moma and the Whitney.

Poppy K said...

I love the Milwaukee Art Museum for its amazing architecture (both the Calatrava part and the Saarinen part) and the Folk Art Museum in NYC. The MCA in Chicago is pretty cool too.

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

These are tops on my list too! I'd add the Museum of Art and Design in NYC. Every show I've seen there has been incredible, both conceptually and aesthetically. I really need to get back to the Corning Museum - haven't been in years but I remember such great work there. And demos!

kelly said...

I would love to visit the Eric Carle museum.
You should jump on a plane and travel down to Tasmania, at the bottom of Australia and visit Mona (museum of old and new art). That's where I'll be this Easter break :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...