2.17.2012

One year later...

farmhouse exterior
We fell in love with this farm one year ago. We had looked at it once before then and were decidedly not impressed, but it was this visit that finally convinced us to jump on this project. The photo on the left was taken during that visit and the photo on the right was taken last month (and after a new roof, painted front door, etc.). Here's another overgrown photo from that day. The house had been abandoned for several years and in serious need of care.

farmhouseSince that time we've spent a lot of time outside, trying to get everything in check before Spring. Here's what the house looks like this week. I trimmed back the bushes along the front of the house and left the clematis vine alone. I also cleaned up all of the pine trees and took down tons of invasive/non-native bushes.

farmhouseThis photo was taken last summer, right before we owned the house. I cut down the hydrangeas (don't worry- our local hydrangea expert told they'll come back even better) and trimmed down whatever those other bushes are (they seem to grow really fast). I've been sort of shocked by how much time it takes to prune trees and trim bushes.

farmhouseSo, here we are one year later and I've found myself considering how things have shifted since that visit. The smell of cow manure, the 4 mile drive to town, the muddy driveway, the giant lawn, and a major renovation haven't changed. What has changed is that all of that finally pales in comparison to the gardens, the creek that rambles along the property border, the pastures, beautiful mature trees, the big red barn, the outdoor fireplace, the circular driveway, the hydrangeas, and the peonies.

10 comments:

Bobby said...

Wow, it does look a whole lot better. I think you deserve a gold star!

Rachel Marie said...

It is so inspiring to read about a family working hards towards a dream and enjoying the process. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us!

PS You have outstanding taste

Anonymous said...

the stuff dreams r made of

Alison said...

You've done such an awesome job. I've been reading your blog for awhile and it surprises me that it's been a year already, time flies on the internet. Congrats to you and your family for making such a great home.

P.S. I love all the work you do with Pistachio Press, I have the 2012 calendar, totally the best.

sécia said...

It looks amazing!

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Audrey said...

:) Makes me miss upstate NY. Those hydrangeas are lovely and I am sure they'll come back even better, as you said!

kristin said...

You guys have come a long way in a year, and I know your hard work outside will pay off this spring/summer! I love watching every bit of progress on your farmhouse.

kathy said...

your house is beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Oh my....that is sooo freeaaakin' impressive.

LivingVintage said...

I LOVE your farmhouse. You are so lucky to have found it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...