2.03.2012

Bathroom renovation...

bathroom renovation
With the exception of the floors and a few more pieces of trim around the door, our 1st floor bathroom renovation is pretty much done. Remember what this room looked like before? Gross! This project took 6 months of inconsistent work and cost $385 total (cost breakdown below). My dad helped me rip out the original sink, but PRH and I did the rest of the work else ourselves. It is refreshing to have at least one bathroom in our house that doesn't make me feel sick to my stomach. Let's take a tour around our miniature bathroom, shall we? (please forgive the sketchy photos- it's kind of tricky to photograph a tiny bathroom with zero natural light.)

As you know, every other room in our house is painted white- I tend to prefer bright white walls and pops of color. For this project, however, I decided to leap waaayyyyyy out of my comfort zone and experiment with dark colors and pattern. The wainscoting and trim appear black in these photos, but the color is actually a deep navy blue (Valspar's Corduroy Black).

bathroom renovation
We kept the toilet, but the old wood toilet seat had to go. I was sort of shocked by how much cleaner the room looked once it was gone. The t.p. holder and towel holder came from our local Habitat for Humanity Restore. We stash extra toilet paper in a vintage gym basket. We bought a huge supply of gym baskets at a school surplus auction several years ago- they've come in handy.

bathroom renovationI found the cast iron pedestal sink on craigslist and was happy that it cleaned up so well. I still have to do something about that light switch cover- maybe swap for a porcelain cover? We're also trying to find a small shelf to hang above the sink.

bathroom renovationFunny story about the mirror: on Wednesday afternoon, Kicky and I drove past our dear friend Ken, an avid thrifter. I flagged him down and asked him to keep an eye out for a crusty, old, gold-framed mirror at the thrift store. He laughed, ran over to his car, and pulled this mirror out of his trunk. Apparently, he paid $5 for it a couple of weeks ago and had been driving around with it in his car ever since. It's exactly what I was looking for and he wouldn't even let me pay for it! I'm sending happy thrift store mojo Ken's way.

bathroom renovationThe flush handle...a weird little detail I couldn't resist.

bathroom renovationYou may remember me hemming and hawing about wallpaper. My friend Renee, probably exhausted from listening to my incessant bitching, mailed several rolls of this wallpaper to me and I love it. It's hand-screened, vintage wallpaper designed by Alan Campbell. This pattern, called Criss Cross, is still available through Quadrille Fabrics. Hanging wallpaper was the most difficult DIY project I've ever tackled and I don't plan on trying it again.

PRH made this drawing in grad school. We played around with smaller artwork in this room, but nothing seemed to work as well as this large drawing. I found the 'magic moon machine' flashcard at the thrift store.

bathroom renovationYou can't see the light fixture in these photos (trust me, it's nothing spectacular)- it's this. It's a cheap stand-in until I can find a light we actually like that doesn't cost two million dollars and my first born.

bathroom renovationWe still have to refinish the floors, but are planning to wait until we can open windows.

bathroom renovationCost breakdown of our bathroom renovation:
  • pedestal sink $20 [vintage- craigslist]
  • light shade $5 [Lowes]
  • light fixture $17 [Lowes]
  • toilet handle $10 [Lowes]
  • mirror [gift from friend]
  • toilet seat $25 [Lowes]
  • wallpaper $30 [vintage from Renee Garner- Criss Cross pattern designed by Alan Campbell]
  • wallpaper paste/supplies $28 [Ahwaga Paints in Owego]
  • towel holder $5 [Habitat for Humanity Restore]
  • toilet paper holder $3 [Habitat for Humanity Restore]
  • trash can $15 [Target]
  • soap holder $10 [Target]
  • artwork $0 [by PRH]
  • vintage gym baskets $2 [school surplus auction]
  • Paint/supplies $46 [Lowes- Valspar's Corduroy Black]
  • Electrical outlet/light switch $10 [Lowes]
  • plumbing $50 [Home Central in Owego]
  • wainscoting $49 [Home Central in Owego]
  • drywall/spackle/screws $60 [Home Central in Owego]
Grand total: $385

42 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oh it is amazing and classy and gorgeous!!! i am in love!!!!

Annarack said...

That is one of the coolest bathrooms I have ever seen!!!!

Happy Thoughts said...

really detailed post, you are so patient! thanks for sharing - really interesting, as always...

LOVE the mirror! That golden frame softens the space so effectively.

Overall look - very clean and sort of relaxed (?) and welcoming (??? can you say that about one's bathroom?)

Anyway - great job, Abbey!

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness! That is totally fabulous! :-)

Jen Craun said...

Love it! What a sweet little space!

Bandita said...

very nice :) hard work really pays! i like the gold frame against the dark wall.

its the perfect blend of done up and casual!

Elise said...

Whoop hoooooo! Love it...nice work, lady! I love the paint color (being brave paid off) and I can never get enough wainscoting. Ever. :)

Katie F said...

i really love that towel you have hanging by the sink - where is it from?

Amy said...

That is so fabulous!!! Congrats on finishing, and that budget is crazy. I can't believe you did all that for so little cost.

Kolein said...

It's beautiful! I love the mirror story!! Grand!!! The huge painting is wonderful in that space! We have a huge painting in our teeny bathroom! I love it there!

But that towel....I think I'm in love with that towel!!

~K

White Lacquer said...

Wow!! It turned out frickin fantastic!! I could be way off, but the navy gives it a touch of glamour an the vintage vibe has me swooning. It's perfect.

Xx. Patience

amber said...

slam dunk. i love a great before and after.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

That looks SO much better! I like how you've used the darker paint here. It feels vintagey and looks great against the white fixtures.

Nancy said...

It turned out really great! I love that you all dared to go so dark in a small space- I've wanted too, but my hubby would kill me!!! LOL.

Amy said...

I love, Love, LOVE your bathroom. I am deeming it "pinterest material." ; ) I really enjoy watching you transform your farmhouse. Keep the pics coming!

Steve Haskamp said...

You are amazing! Such a beautiful renovation! It looks like you spent so much more.

Sara said...

You've got great style! The dark blue walls and wallpaper! w/the cool picture overhanging! The toilet handle!. Gold frame. Love.

Melissa Haworth said...

AWESOME! I really love following your renovation--keep the before and after posts coming!

Sandi said...

this is wonderful! love the black and white combo

Laurie in Geogia said...

Fantastic! The dark wainscoting is so unexpected, but it really works. It's so sophisticated! And PRH's drawing is really cool. I love putting large pieces in small rooms, too.

Martha said...

Love the color on the walls. It looks great, what a transformation!

Beth said...

This such an inspiring, affordable renovation! We have a powder room in our basement that looks a lot like your "before". Thanks for sharing this with us.

1914house said...

It looks great. The style is perfect for a farmhouse!

Karen said...

Gorgeous! Congrats on surviving your wallpaper experience. A simple clear glass shelf above the sink may work best since it won't cast a shadow on the taps (I learned this during a previous renovation). Enjoy!

cde said...

This is so my style! Very nice work, and for a great price tag too. I'd love to see more of your home projects like this.

sécia said...

Well done! And at such a low cost?! Double well done!

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

kristin said...

love it, abbey! and only $385?! that's incredible. you are a thrifting inspiration.

Zoë {Conversation Pieces} said...

Lovely! :) And I love the story of the mirror... I wish I had him as a friend too! :)

hi there! said...

Love the dark color for the wainscoting! I really want to do black tile flooring in mine. Inspiring!

Nicolette Lafonseca-Hargreaves said...

wow that looks amazing you had some great finds there.

beth lehman said...

It's GREAT! I love it!

our little love nest said...

I love the mirror with the navy paint. They make a stunning combination! I so wish I had the knack for renovating spaces with so much creativity!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Oops- sorry! The bath towel came from Home Goods and the brand is Ridgefield Home.

I almost didn't go with navy blue, but the white looked SO bad. :) I had a can left over from our dresser project, so I figured I could just paint over it if we didn't like it. Thank you all for your sweet comments!
x,
Abbey

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

Wow! Looks amazing, so cool to see you guys do something different- you make everything look so great.

The toilet handle is my favorite detail- so clever!

Steenkbug said...

Love the gold mirror and the wallpaper!

mopar said...

Congratulations. This looks great. I love the navy bead board, the sink, and the toilet handle. Was the bead board pristine under the paneling? When we removed ours, we had to replace all the bead board in the house because it was covered in some kind of thick black glue that nothing would remove. Also, did you refinish the wood floor? If you decide to change your faucets, I highly recommend Sign of the Crab/Strom for a bathroom like this because of the quality and historic accuracy. (I have no connection to the company, it's just what we used in our bathroom. It's pricey though, $150, but heavy.)

mopar said...

Oh, wait, sorry, I see you already answered my floor question. They look great from here!

Jamie said...

You can so DIY your light switch covers with paper and decoupage medium - one tutorial is here: http://www.designsponge.com/2009/09/reprodepot-book-diy-decorative-light-switch-cover.html. I purchased on years ago, for my studio that shows an image of the statue of David and the switch is ... ahem... but it's so funny. LOVE your bathroom overall, very rustic and chic at the same time.

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

Oh my gosh I cant believe you got that sink for 20 bucks!!! I'll have to start looking there for one for our teeny bathroom off the kitchen. We had a fire about 4 weeks ago so the kitchen is getting a paint makeover(this weekend) and that bathroom is next. Ive been lost as to what to do in there...until now. Love this room!

Anonymous said...

Ok, but now you have hardwood flooring. you have included no cost for that in the budget. and that alone is going to be more than $300+, so the budget part really throws me off....

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

The budget is what we've spent so far, so I'm not sure what part is throwing you off. Refinishing the hardwood floors definitely isn't going to cost $300+ (we spent about that for our entire first floor). Thanks for visiting, though.

Shower Enclosures Bronx said...

What an improvement!! Thank lord, that toilet had to go. I must say you've got one special nak for interior design.

-Bronx Shower Doors

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...