Mudroom update...

I was going through photos yesterday and realized that I hadn't given an update on the mudroom in a while. The photo above is a tiny look. The biggest issue with the mudroom is that it's never been properly insulated and has low ceilings. We're eventually going to take the whole room out, so it didn't make sense to spend a lot of money on it. However, the hook-ups for the washer and dryer are in this uninsulated room, so we decided to build a heated, insulated closet to house those appliances. PRH built the closet (you can see he also built shelves for his winemaking equipment) and we found this old door out in the barn. It works perfectly and the washer/dryer problem is solved (they're both tucked behind that sliding door). Obviously, we still need to finish hanging the drywall in a few spots, mud the walls, and do something with the floor, but it's come a long way from where it was when we first bought the house.

The photos below show what the mudroom looked like when we bought the house. The walls and ceilings were covered in moldy paneling and some rodents/animals had built nests inside that little closet thing (bottom right photo). Even the pest inspector was afraid to climb in there...

farmhouse renovationMy parents helped us rip everything out and we discovered the original clapboard siding under the rotten paneling. The house has vinyl siding, but I'm assuming the original clapboard is underneath. I'd prefer clapboard, but we have no idea what condition it's in (or if it's even there!). Since the vinyl siding is acting as a layer of insulation, we'll have to wait until we insulate the whole house to find out what's underneath.

renovationHere's that nest area that I was talking about. Ewww.

renovationThis is the door to our kitchen. The door has since been painted, the floors have been painted and, with the exception of where the clapboard is, drywall has been put up in the whole room. I still have to paint the clapboard, but it's too cold right now.

renovationHere's a shot looking towards the back door. We've since hung drywall and took out all of the 2 x 4's on the ceiling and walls. Since we didn't insulate the room and are eventually taking the whole room out, we decided to leave the ceiling exposed. I like the contrast of wood with drywall, so I'm hoping it'll look OK when everything's said and done.

Bathroom update: The doors are painted, the sink is patched, and I think I'm ready to wallpaper. Today I'm going to put a third coat on the doors, clean/replace hardware, and maybe wallpaper. Fingers crossed!


RachelDenbow said...

Let me just say how much I'm in awe of you guys redoing this farm house (IN THE WINTER IN NEW YORK!!) mostly by yourselves. I love to diy but the more I read, the more I think I'd be completely overwhelmed by day...three.

I salute you, Abbey of the farmhouse renovations! ;) Can't wait to see the bathroom when you're done.

Heather said...

I adore the sliding barn door! You are living my dream of renovating an old farmhouse. Can't wait to see the bathroom reveal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...