1.05.2012

Living room in progress...

renovation
I've only ever shared a small part of our living room and thought it was about time I share a little more. I must warn you that these photos are decidedly un-styled...with the addition of more toys and books on the floor, this is what it pretty much looks like on a daily basis. The room leans a bit more bohemian than I typically prefer, but with two kids under the age of 4, I'm OK with that. My philosophy has always been that this is their house too; that doesn't mean that our kids shouldn't learn how to take care of things, it does mean that they should feel just as comfortable as we do and that we shouldn't freak out over spilled grape juice. I digress.

We changed around the living room this week because books were piled everywhere and I couldn't take it anymore. Most of our books had filled the weird little woodstove room until PRH knocked down a wall. After that, we had to scatter them all over the house while we made a decision about what to do with them. We've finally decided to make a giant built-in bookshelf/media cabinet on one wall in the living room. In the meantime, I've piled all of the books and DVD's where the shelf will eventually go.

The couch (aka the orange beast) is temporary. Our other couch was ruined in our move, so we found this one on craigslist until we can find something we really like (perhaps one that's a normal size?). We also recently inherited my childhood coffee table (chicken coop) from my brother and his girlfriend. We took the glass off so EZ E and Kicky wouldn't hurt themselves and now it's become a depository for toys and bits of paper. It is handy to have a spot for a book or drink, but I'm not sure that the coop is sticking around for long. The rugs on the floor are actually two kilims that I found on ebay for $1 each.

renovationI put scentless candles in every jar I can find. It makes dark winter nights that much cozier.

renovationI swapped a chair with my mom for this industrial shelf. It came from a local, now defunct, shoe factory. Kicky's horse barn sits on top and can be taken down when (or if) she ever wants to play with it. That particular purchase may have been more for mommy than Kicky. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for said barn has yet to wear off on her or EZ E.

renovationWe mark everyone's height on the door to the dining room. I keep forgetting to mark our friends' heights when they visit. This door leads into our dining room and kitchen.

renovationThis pile of books is opposite the couch, our ancient television sits on top of that cabinet, and we found the little red lamp in our shed. Don't worry, librarians, PRH will build a proper bookshelf and I promise not to stack books like that in the future. See the texture on the wall? Ugh. It's just screaming, "Get rid of me! I don't like being textured either!".

renovation
These photos will help give a better sense of the whole room. The little woodstove room is attached to the living room. Design dilemmas galore, but that's a renovation project for a different day, right?

9 comments:

Catherine Denton said...

I kindof like the stacked books--makes me want to start reading. :) I really like this room, it has a welcoming vibe.
Catherine Denton

Martha said...

I love the industrial shelf! Are you thinking of doing some color on the walls?

Nancy said...

A good stack of books just means you're smart, right? ;) I'm sure you'll be happy to get them off the floor. And do keep that coffee table- it's AMAZING. What about a plexi top?

The Short Italian said...

Oooh... if you're not going to keep your chicken crate coffee table, please let me know! My mom isn't far from you and would love it. She raises chickens and my dad builds new crates to transport, but yours is awesomely vintage.

heather said...

I would kill for the industrial shelf and your vintage filing cabinet that you got a school auction. you have great taste!

heather said...

I would kill for the industrial shelf and your vintage filing cabinet that you got a school auction. you have great taste!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Oh! And I'm glad I'm not the shortest person on the doorway!
Love guys and give my little buddies hugs and kisses for me.
Love, Jolie

Karen said...

Nice chicken coop coffee table-- you could try a piece of tung-oiled fir plywood with the edges exposed. Piles of books are a good sign-- they're better than a big screen TV! =) Happy reading to you all!

Linda said...

Love reading all this. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...