1.30.2012

Cookbook love...

blueberry tart
cookbook
Last week my very sweet friend, Renee, sent us the book Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes by Janice Cole. In the Spring PRH and I are planning to start raising chickens. To that end, we spent part of Saturday cleaning out a little shed and researching chickens. My "research" involved reading Chicken and Egg from cover to cover, drooling over Janice Cole's recipe for Blueberry Sour Cream Tart, and then making, photographing (above), and devouring said tart. Beyond yum! We brought it to my parents' dinner party this weekend and everyone, including kids, loved it.

The book itself is both engaging and absolutely gorgeous, with page after page of perfectly styled/photographed recipes, several of which are in our dinner queue for this week...

cookbookI also loved the hand-drawn chapter pages by Caitlin Keegan (thanks for the tip, Kathleen!)...

cookbookand this sweet looking little chicken...

cookbook
cookbook
Chicken and Egg made me excited about raising chickens and cooking...a feat in and of itself. You can pick up a copy here and read Janice Cole's blog here. Special thanks to Renee for the thoughtful gift!

10 comments:

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

Love this post! As I was reading it, I was thinking about the post I had written about the same book, but when I went to look for it I realized that for some reason it was still just in draft form. So I finally posted it, thanks to you!
http://kittenslosthermittens.blogspot.com/2012/01/chicken-egg.html
I love this book, and like me, Janice is from Minnesota, so when I met her it was really great to talk about raising chickens that would be Minnesota-hardy. She has such a wealth of information about chickens, and wrote the most beautiful book. What you made from it looks delicious! That just went to the top of things I need to make this week! Thanks for the push to go and revisit this book!

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

What a great friend to send you something so thoughtful!

My aunt started raising chickens last year- shes thoroughly enjoying it and really feel in love with the chickens. Can't wait to see what you do with your chicken coop- i'm sure they will be stylish chickens!

Kristina said...

We got a lot of help and info from www.backyardchickens.com when we were setting up our coop. Do you plan to start with chicks or hens?

White Lacquer said...

We've been talking a ton about getting chickens. Haven't quite built up enough courage/done enough research. Can't wait to hear about your adventure!!

Xx. Patience

Nancy said...

That's amazing! I dream of one day becoming a land owner and raising a flock of my own too:) Another great resource for this is Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle- great read on farming/ cooking/ local eating/ raising chickens, etc family farming life;)

sécia said...

I've been eyeing this cookbook for forever. Glad you did this post! :)

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

K. Fox said...

We just started our first flock of chickens! We bought them as chicks at the end of the summer and transferred them to their coop (a little late unfortunately) at the new year. We have a mix and are loving being the proud owners of such wonderful birds. They will start producing eggs soon... can't wait!

We have two Ameraucana roosters and 1 hen, two Silver-laced Wyandotte hens, two Blue Andalusians, one Buff Orpington, one Rhode Island Red, and one Black Sex-Link hen (she's the top hen). They are beautiful running about the yard and are so much fun for our little boy to watch (he's learning: NO CHASING THE CHICKENS! He's almost two.)

These books/sites were VERY helpful in researching breeds, care, and building an appropriate coop/run:

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens
The Joy of Keeping Chickens
www.backyardchickens.com

I'll keep my eye out for any good books/info that may be helpful. Good luck!

Kathleen said...

It's a gorgeous book. The hand drawn chapter pages are actually by my friend Caitlin Keegan. She just had a book of Shakespeare's Love Sonnets come out too. So talented! http://www.caitlinkeegan.com/indexhibit/

JenK said...

I also received this cookbook recently as a gift. Have yet to find a recipe I don't love. Wonderful all around!

Jeanette said...

Ooooh another wonderful looking book for me to read! I'm wanting so much to get some chicks this spring!! Don't know if/when it may become reality...but it's always good to have research!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...