12.05.2011

Almost after...

DIY renovation
I've mentioned this weird little room off of our living room before. It's about 7 ft x 7 ft with only enough room for a woodstove. It's one of those design conundrums that comes with old houses (and new too, I suppose). We've gone back and forth about whether or not to keep the woodstove, considered turning the room into a tiny library (my favorite of the choices), or simply doing nothing (yeah right). Three weeks ago on a whim, PRH knocked down the wall between the staircase and the little room, which really opened up the whole room. We're still working on it (and are eventually planning to move the staircase altogether), but I couldn't wait to show the results (ignore the christmas tree).

Here's what the room looked like right before we bought the house. The floors were in rough shape; there was a door to the stairwell; the walls were a textured, cream-colored mess; and those dark wood beams seemed a bit out of place (I think they're structural, but we don't have them anywhere else in the house).

DIY renovationHere's an 'after-ish' shot from the same angle. The stairwell wall has been knocked down, the wall above the former stairwell door has been raised, the beams have been boxed in, the floors have been refinished, and the cream-colored walls are no longer...

DIY renovationBesides size, one of the other problems with the little room was the amount of texture; the wood beams, the wood paneling above the woodstove, the brick, the stone, and the plastered walls (you can't see the texture in this photo, but it was bad)...

DIY renovationWe thought painting the walls and paneling white would make things better. It didn't work.

DIY renovation
DIY renovationHere's the door to the stairs...

DIY renovationCheck out those rubber treads, they were a nightmare to remove. I painted the stairs as a temporary fix...

DIY renovationHere's an 'after-ish' shot where you can see a bit more of the living room. It's still a weird L-shape, but not nearly as bad as before...

DIY renovationand another...

DIY renovationagain, a photo taken from where the chairs are. What looks like a black line in the corner is just building materials that I didn't move for the photo...

DIY renovationa more straight-on shot of the woodstove. Obviously, we still need to finish the walls, paint the stairs, and paint the brick behind the woodstove, but I think it looks way better (more so without the tree)...

DIY renovationHere's a close-up of the much-debated woodstove. I actually like the woodstove itself, but I'm not crazy about how the back legs rest on that stone shelf and how it isn't centered. I guess we'll take care of that someday.

DIY renovation
PRH has been mudding the walls, so we should be able to paint soon. The rest of the living room is next. We have textured walls to cover and bookshelves to build...next year. I think we're all ready for a tiny break.

21 comments:

Happy Thoughts said...

TOTALLY AMAZING TRANSFORMATION! So many wows in my head I won't be able to sleep! :D Amazing Abbey x Just amazing... xj.

Martha said...

It has made a big difference already! Those old farmhouses always liked to hide their stairs.

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

You guys seriously amaze me! what an astounding job. Maybe it doesn't need to have a dedicated purpose- its so much more open now that it seems like part of your living room.

Laurie in Georgia said...

Wow! What a difference! I love how you guys opened up that funny little room. I vote for a tiny library--how cool would that be? And, I like the wood stove, especially in your neck of the woods. Just think about how nice it would be to curl up with a good book in front of that stove come February...

bsrowe said...

Whoo hoo! That's fabulous! Nicely done, guys. Opening up that space makes a world of difference

Escoto said...

Oh, Abbey, your husband did the right thing in knocking down that wall. It looks so much brighter and happier.

I've been reading your blog for a few months now. (I found it while Googling Halloween costumes for my son - EZ E's owl costume popped up - and have been hooked ever since.) I'm loving seeing your house transform and seeing all your creative ideas come to fruition. Thanks for sharing your life; I know it can be hard some days, so keep it up!

Julia said...

looks awesome! did you have any electrical or venting you had to reroute? i'd like to remove some walls but don't know whats behind them. I know its not load bearing though.

Dani said...

Looks amazing! I followed your blog about 2years ago and just started again.Does that make any sense?aha.Anyways I just love your aesthetic and love seeing your renovations.Keep up the great work!

chiara said...

that's so exciting! you now have a cute little room - I vote library too. how cozy would that be! so jealous :)

Jill Dion said...

I think a little cozy library would be perfect. It already looks so much better. With books, it might turn into your favorite room.

Maile (My-lee) Ann said...

FANTASTIC! LOVE IT!

curlygirlpress said...

So much work you two have done! Your floors are TO DIE FOR. Great job. Thanks for sharing your vision. = )

bbphoto said...

tiny library and Featured Art space... your own little gallery! ps... i would keep the woodstove- wonderful in the winter and a great place to snuggle up to a great book!

Paige said...

I LOVE the idea of you turning it into a little library! Floor to ceiling shelves would look amazing in that little space.

lfc3 said...

I hope you kept the -what? - brass fire alarm over the original stairway. I liked that part of the before...

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks everyone! It does make the whole room so much better. Thank goodness for a husband who likes to smash walls. ;)

Julia- we did have an electrical line that we had to reroute. PRH and my dad know how to do all of that so it wasn't difficult. We also had a weird fan in the wall that he took out. I wouldn't know how to do that on my own, but I'm sure you could hire an electrician to move any wires you have in the wall. Just make sure the power is completely turned off before you smash into any walls. I'd highly recommend picking up a power tester at your local hardware store. They're only about 10 dollars. Good luck!

lfc3- Ha! Not to worry, we did keep all of the brass fire alarms (there were 3 in the house). Now it's just a matter of figuring out what to do with them. :)

xo,
Abbey

looks awesome! did you have any electrical or venting you had to reroute? i'd like to remove some walls but don't know whats behind them. I know its not load bearing though.

Amy said...

i absolutely love reading your home renovations. such a beautiful house.

Joni said...

lookin' good! i think that room is a seasonal room, you know, for christmas trees and other vignettes. i like the idea of keeping the woodstove. perhaps with furniture along the window wall it wont look so uncentered??

sosser said...

i love this quirky corner and the way it looks all opened up - pure brilliance! i vote for a library. it's the perfect spot.

Kristina said...

Your makeover is really nice, were planning on doing one on out fireplace.

Kim Whitley-Gaynor said...

You may think I'm crazy but I actually liked your original staircase. Not the rubber treads, but the black/white/blue color scheme. The "after" is lovely also, of course, but the original color scheme definitely caught my eye.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...