11.02.2011

Library in the works...

library
library
A while back I mentioned a weird little room that's located off our living room. It's only about 7 feet square and has a beautiful old soapstone wood stove in it. That's it...a wood stove. When we moved in, we piled tons of books in the room, slapped a chair in front of the fireplace, and called it a day. I wanted to move the wood stove somewhere else and make the tiny room into a library (remember this post?). PRH, who typically could care less, said N-O. Huh? What's that?! No library?! Oh, the horror! We've finally reached a compromise though. As per PRH's request, the wood stove stays, but I get an entire...wait for it...wall of bookshelves!!! In preparation for a library (with a wood stove), I repainted this table, put it across from the future-shelves, threw together a little gallery wall, and piled my collection of Nancy Drews under the desk*. Folks, we have ourselves a library. Boo-yah!

Here are the gallery wall details: wall lamp found in our shed, graphite portrait of EZ E by Shelley Weber; wooden bow by Christine Buckton Tillman; Kicky's costume photo by me; Bird Lover print by bricolagelife; magic moon machine flashcard from thrift store on drawing by me; vintage 'for rent' sign; coral beads from local craft store; print with EZ E drawing on top- not sure of artist- a gift from Rachael; my very favorite Bill Murray print by Claire Taylor.

libraryAm I the only one who thinks it's weird to find a magic moon machine flashcard in a stack of vintage flashcards? By weird I mean awesome.

library
*when I started grad school, one of my professors asked me what I was reading. In hindsight, I think she wanted me to say I read Barthes, Foucault, or Debord. My brilliant (completely serious) answer: "Oh, I mostly read Nancy Drew.".

9 comments:

Megan said...

Yay! Library! Love the gallery wall you put together - that Bill Murray print is pretty awesome. Also, I have to admit that I have never read a Nancy Drew book! I might have to bring one home when I go to work at the museum today ;-)

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

hahahahaha, perfect grad school answer! I have to say that all that theory reading made me stop reading for fun. I should have skipped Derrida and gone for Nancy Drew!

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

Oh my gracious I cant wait to see this room come together! A library....pure heaven.
Im currently in need of bookshelves myself. Ive got piles of books laying around that have overflowed the ones(2) we already have.
I love all the shelving units you've got. Its one of the things that drew me to your blog initially.

Nancy said...

Hahah...cute. No one should judge you about what you read!!! Loving the library idea, glad you won!

loveevy said...

I'm never commented before, but I just fell even more in love with you, ahem, your blog.

I wish I could spend more time reading Nancy Drew, I'm taking a break from reading none other than... Foucault. Ugh.

Serena said...

That is a mighty fine Nancy Drew collection, lady. Plenty of life lessons to be gained by reading them. :-)

leFiligree said...

awesome work station, and i am glad the woodstove stays. love all the red, as in "a library should be read."

Holly said...

I have never ever read any Nancy Drew--but my brother read The Hardy Boys. I also read Trixie Belden which I think were sort of like Nancy Drew circa late 70's.

sugarpie project said...

magic. moon. machine. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...