10.03.2011

Surprise element...

Danika Herrick mural
Our first floor bathroom has been ready to be painted for a while now, but I can't seem to make my mind up about anything lately. I've been considering some kind of wallpaper or mural, but making a decision? Not happening. I can't stop thinking about a bathroom I saw recently. The photo shoot for the Parents Magazine project was in a gorgeous house just outside of NYC. I started drooling the minute we crossed the threshold. The homeowners had an incredible art collection, which looked perfect in a house with otherwise traditional decor. The best part, however, was a little jewel of a bathroom tucked under the stairs, covered in Schumacher's Chiang Mai Dragon wallpaper (in aquamarine). Like I said, the rest of the house was relatively trad, which made this bathroom a lovely surprise. You can scroll through the costume images to get a look at the house, and the mural above, by Danika Herrick, gives a better sense of the wallpaper pattern. I don't think the Chiang Mai Dragon pattern would work in our farmhouse, but I do think our house needs some sort of surprise element and our tiny bathroom is the perfect spot to do that. Now what to do?

9 comments:

Happy Thoughts said...

nice inspiration! depends how tiny your bathroom is, I think tiny rooms look better without big patterns (you need a certain distance to enjoy it)

The Glamorous Housewife said...

I LOVE a bold print in a small bathroom. It is so fun! My powder room has a vintage foil wallpaper with fish on it in shades of turquoise, green, and gold. You should totally go bold in the bathroom.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

Krysta said...

I love the look of a fun wallpaper in a small bathroom! Go for it!

Melissa Haworth said...

You've probably seen the wisecraft bathroom, no? Here are links. This one might be a bit much for you? http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/2011/06/kids-anime-bathroom.html but this one seems perfect with unexpected paint color and cool art: http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/2011/07/a-second-bathroom-redo.html

curlygirlpress said...

I'm a big fan of the surprise element, the mixing of styles, the whimsy with traditional, etc. I would suggest posterizing and enlarging one of the old photos left there that you love, and painting a mural with it, but it might be weird to be stared at by people while using the can...Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Joy said...

Coming from someone currently ripping out wallpaper from a bathroom, PLEASE don't install wallpaper on the wall the toilet is on. Or wallpaper and then install a vanity in the corner with a half-inch gap between it and the wall. Those who live in the house after you will curse you under their breath as they straddle the toilet while scraping the wall. At least that's been my experience...

I think an accent wall would be awesome!

modern victorian said...

i wallpapered my small bathroom in pages of seed and flower order catalogs, it was so whimsical

leFiligree said...

totally do it! when we bought our house, there was a mirror-silver wallpapered bathroom with a black and white bamboo motif, and they even papered the door. it was all ugly, and the bathroom had to be gutted to the siding because of mold. but i am sure it was a cool bathroom at some point in time. you'll be living there a while.

Elizabeth said...

That's gorgeous! I don't know what you should do, but I papered my little bath with my postcard collection I had growing up. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...