10.27.2011

A Space of My Own...

interior book
As much as I love art books (and I LOVE them), shelter books are really where I find the most inspiration. I keep them all in one place and pore over and over and over them, trying to glean new ideas. PRH and I were telling friends the other day that we're still in emergency-mode as far as the farmhouse goes; almost everything we've done so far has been done in order for the house to simply survive (roof, mold abatement in mudroom and bathroom, gas line, etc). The end of emergency-mode is in sight, so I went ahead and bought myself some 'happy end of emergency-mode' shelter books. A Space of My Own: Inspirational Ideas for Home Offices, Craft Rooms and Studies by Caroline Clifton-Mogg is one of my favorites so far. Every page makes me swoon. Gorgeous photos, brilliant styling, interior shots I've never seen before...AND the very idea of a space of my own. Oh, yes! Now you're speaking my language. Any favorite shelter books/magazines? Do share!

interior book
interior book
interior book
interior book

10 comments:

chiara said...

nothing I want more than a space of my own......thanks for the recommendation. going to put it on my wishlist right now!

Dawn Trest said...

That looks like a really fun book! We'll be moving soon so I am starting to look for inspiration to decorate again...this book looks like it could be a winner :)
xx, Dawn
www.hellodearie.com

curlygirlpress said...

I always peruse the Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn catalogs for how they use space and their room displays much more than for the merchandise. That chunky primitive cubby unit full of natural bits? LOVE!

Karen said...

Most of the Ryland, Peters & Small shelter books work for me. Flea Market Style, Simple Home, Restoration Home, and Casual Living are my favourites. I've added A Space of My Own to my Amazon wishlist. Thanks!

P.S. I can relate to the emergency mode-- we've spent the last 10 years doing all the necessary, but boring things to our house.

gail said...

Far and away the best shelter/decorating books I've ever acquired are Contemporary Natural, by Phyllis Richardson and Solvi dos Santos, and Simply Contemporary, by Henrietta Thompson and Solvi dos Santos. Even though the descriptor "contemporary" is in both titles, in actuality both books spotlight the homes of artists and craftsfolk, primarily from Europe and N. America, but also from Africa and Asia. All the interiors are wildly eclectic, resourceful, and replete with found items. I have a large collection of such books, but it is to these two that I return again and again.

Lauren said...

Yes, thank you for the recommendation! I typically sift through mags for inspiration.. Real Simple and Country Living are my favs.

Lauren said...

I need to check out this book!! I'm in a styling rut. I typically check out Real Simple and Country Living magazines for some ispiration.

Seth said...

This book looks great. It is already on my wish list.

Holly said...

that book is a beauty. I find myself looking at the Downtown Chic by the Novogratzes a lot.

LivingVintage said...

Oh my! That book looks tremendous! I'm going to buy it right now!

Speaking of shelter, I just bought "Pocket Neighborhoods" by Ross Chapin. I can't wait to dive in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...