10.17.2011

Potting shed...

renovation
When it came to us buying this property, the outbuildings were a definite draw. On the other side of ownership, however, taking care of said outbuildings is a bit intimidating. The big barn roof is leaking like crazy, it's packed full of stuff (including rodents), and just generally stinky. The other two buildings are at about the same stage of atrophy, but they're much smaller. So starting small seemed like the best plan this weekend. We cleaned out this white building (it's not actually connected to the big barn) and PRH tore off a hideous and ineffective lean-to (you can see it peeking out from behind the white building in the photo above). I was helping until I pulled up part of the roof (see below...gross!) and a mouse jumped out on me from underneath. No more Abbey! PRH took one for the team and finished pulling off the roof. He spent yesterday putting a roof back on, straightening up the exterior, cleaning up the floor, and getting the interior walls ready to be painted. The goal is to use this building as a potting shed, so we're well on the way to making that happen. I'll share after photos when it looks a little more 'after'. Next step? Party barn! OK...maybe not quite yet.

renovation

5 comments:

curlygirlpress said...

Oh, the mice. I can't keep them out of my garage, but they're now out of my house (who knew - when you take away their happy food source, they try to move inside and hide dogfood in your linens!!). I don't like setting the traps but MY house, YOUR great outdoors. I wouldn't continue a demo either if one jumped on me! Eek!

Belle said...

If a mouse jumped on me I'd have to stop too! A potting shed will be nice to have.

Anonymous said...

Put a box of moth balls in the potting shed Abbey. For some reason mice don't like the smell. I keep a box in my garage, and in the closet under my steps. Found the source of how they were getting in, put some steel wool in the crack and then nailed a board over it. The mice will not chew through the steel wool. As for dog food, or even cat food, I put that in large plastic containers that have air tight lids, food source gone!! I did the same with bird seed. Put that in large plastic air tight container, another food source gone.

Love ya!! Aunt Anna

Maxabella said...

I guess looking at that lovely potting shed, you might have to embrace the mice!?! x

bbphoto said...

yes... embrace the mice- we live in a 103 year old home and our garage is the local hang out for all the woodland creatures that be... that said I actually tried to nurse two found baby mice after their mom kicked them out of the nest- it wasn't meant to be and they didn't survive- but it softened my heart to their existence and now I recognize that 103 year old house='s woodland creatures ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...