10.24.2011

Exhibition + talk...

talk
If you're around Rochester, NY, PRH and I, together with our friend Rachael Hetzel, will be giving an artists' talk at SUNY Brockport's Tower Fine Arts Gallery tomorrow afternoon at 3 PM. The opening reception will follow from 4 to 6 PM. We installed the show last week and it's looking good!

A little more background for those of you who can't attend the talk: all three of us attended and received undergrad degrees in fine art from SUNY Brockport at the same time. Rachael and I actually met on our first day of college, bonded over a terrible drawing class, and have been collaborating ever since. At one point I switched schools and ended up working at a restaurant where PRH and I met. He and I moved back to Brockport to finish our undergrad degrees and to hang out with Rachael, of course! Then we all went on to grad school (PRH to UMass Amherst and Rachael and I- at separate times- to the University at Buffalo). Now PRH teaches in the art department at Mansfield University and works at a winery; I'm a freelance artist/crafter and write this blog; and Rachael designs and prints stationery for a living and is set to open a retail shop in a couple of weeks. To get an idea of what you'd be looking at: Rachael's work here, mine here, and PRH's work here.

Phew! Did you get all that? So back to tomorrow...the three of us will be talking a bit about our artwork, but perhaps more importantly, we'll also be talking about making and maintaining connections, and the eccentricity of our individual career paths. As students, we always want to ask visiting artists meatier questions: How'd she get that job? How does he juggle a career in the arts with family and home life (hmmmm...how do we do that?!)? What are you doing next? Trust me, the three of us addressing questions like that is a far greater alternative than listening to me ramble about Susan B. Anthony and Matilda Gage (I could). We hope to see you there!

I should also mention that artist Ben Entner's work is in the exhibition as well. He's traveling and won't be at the exhibition, but you won't want to miss seeing his pieces.

7 comments:

Natalie Stern said...

Congratulations on your upcoming show. I'm sorry I won't be able to hear you speak. Distance - Rochester to Washington, DC is just too far to travel. I was wondering, though, if you could answer one of your proposed questions. How do you juggle your family and all of your projects? As a new mom, I've been trying to find balance between the creative career and family. I'd love to hear some insight from someone doing this successfully. Thanks!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Hi Natalie,

Great question! It is tough to find a balance- especially as a new mom. This is something I still struggle with on a daily basis. PRH has a pretty irregular work schedule, so my biggest thing is being ready to take advantage of any time I can grab to make things. I talk about it in a bit more detail here. Best of luck!
x,
Abbey

Paulette said...

Wish I could be there! Natalie and I could have carpooled! Any chance they're taping it?

Sarah @ circle and sprout said...

Good luck at your opening tomorrow Abbey! and have fun! Wish I lived a little closer to Brockport to make it!

bsrowe said...

Wish I could jump over from Buffalo and catch your talk! Not in the cards this week, tho! But Pete and I look forward to seeing you both next month - cheers!

Wolfie and the Sneak said...

Good luck at your talk!

Brandie said...

I just saw this! BUMMER!!!!! I would have loved to see you!

xo
brandie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...