9.21.2011

Lighting...

lighting
We've owned the farmhouse for two months today, which seems odd; it feels like we've lived here forever. I digress. Let's talk kitchen lights, shall we? First, here's a quick reminder of what we started with 2 months ago. Absolutely gross. The kitchen is one of those rooms that we're living with until we feel ready to tackle major (read: expensive) changes. We cook a lot, so we want to take our time and figure out how the kitchen functions before we do anything. What we have done so far is painted the cabinets white, installed new hardware, replaced that hideous faux stone wall, refinished the hardwood floors, and put in a temporary island. We've also replaced the overhead light...twice. The original light (directly below) wasn't our style. Yes, we probably could have altered it a bit and made it work, but I really just didn't feel like it...

lighting
I found the second light at a thrift store in Buffalo 3 years ago. It was $12, I liked the shape, and figured that I'd spray paint the gold to tone it down a bit. It didn't end up working in the kitchen and, again, I really just didn't feel like doing anything to it. Down it came...

lighting
We found this one at Lowes; it's the 12" allen + roth bronze Edison pendant light and was about $130, which isn't bad for lighting. Pottery Barn's Calhoun Glass Pendant is similar, but I preferred the odd shape of the allen + roth. As you can see from the top photo, our kitchen and dining room are one big room, so we needed a light that could hold its own next to my beloved copper baby (it's getting a complex from me calling it that). The new light is working out pretty well, although I will say that it's rather dim. It's definitely not a light I'd recommend for a kitchen if you didn't have other task lighting.

lighting
Now we have to paint that square on the ceiling and figure out what to do with the cabinets. I'm trying out yet another paint color today, so we'll see what happens with that business.


If you can, please consider making a donation to Owego Flood Relief.

9 comments:

curlygirlpress said...

oooh, LOVE the shape of your new kitchen light. Can you switch out the bulb for something brighter?

Belle said...

I love your final choice. It is perfect.

Silverfaerie said...

At first look, I would have figured it would be somewhat bright, with the glass being clear like that. I can see why they used a dimmer type bulb though, you wouldn't want to be blinded every time you looked at something above waist level.

Jill Dion said...

I love the industrial look of this light; however, having bright light in a kitchen is so important! Can you add some lighting under the cabinets? I have it in my kitchen and it really helps.

henzy said...

Great lighting choices.. I can believe you got that one for $12!

Poppy K said...

Question for you, since it's one I'm going to have to tackle with some fixtures at my own house. When al the new regulations go into place concerning flourescent light bulbs, which are efficient but UGLY, what will you do with fixtures like your new kitchen pendant fixture?

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

We can definitely switch out the bulb for a brighter one, but we have plenty of other light in the kitchen, so this one being dim isn't an issue. I could see how it would be for folks who don't have task lighting though. I'm hoping that, by the time the new laws come into play, they'll have come up with decent looking CFLs. Fingers crossed! :) You may read about me switching out the light again. Gah!
x,
Abbey

moparbrownstoner said...

My apologies if you saw this same comment a while back and I'm repeating myself, but FYI if that kitchen light is real and not a reproduction, it's worth about $650 to $1200. Hard to tell from here, but the chain is so awkward, perhaps it is real. Usually these were originally pull-down kerosene lights (not always -- I saw a gas one in the Mark Twain house recently). Not that that's a reason to keep it, just FYI it's worth something to collectors.

Meagan said...

Love your lighting choice! I saw this at Lowe's a few weeks back and had did a double take, couldn't believe it was from a big-box store!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...