9.26.2011

Cider-making...

apple cider
Ahhhh...our very first weekend of apple pressing is over and we all had so much fun! For once in my life, I'm not being sarcastic; the whole process was genuinely interesting. PRH and my brother, Pete, pressed 6 bushels of apples on Saturday, and then friends came on Sunday to press 8 more bushels. That's about 480 pounds of apples, peeps. Yowser! I thought you all may enjoy a look at the whole thing.

This is PRH on Saturday morning at the crack of dawn, feverishly picking more apples.

apple ciderI'm pretty sure he had enough...

apple cider
apple ciderbut one can never be sure...

apple ciderThe guys rinsed all of the apples in the kids' baby pool, poured a peck into the grinder, and metal knives ground the apples into little chunks. Here's Pete chopping up apples...

apple ciderand here's Kicky, waiting to see what happens...

apple ciderEZ E wants in on the apple squashing action...

apple ciderThis is what the apples look like after they're ground, but before they're pressed. The wood tubs are lined with mesh bags that catch the apple bits. Once a mesh bag was filled, they'd fold it, put a wood board on top, and squish the whole thing flat...

apple ciderEZ E and Kicky loved watching the juice flow...

apple ciderAnd here are the 'fruits' (or should I say, 'fruit juice') of our weekend. Our mudroom is full of huge glass jugs (carboys) of apple cider, most of which will be made into several types of hard cider. PRH is insanely happy and I don't think apple cider has ever tasted better. This is exactly what we imagined when we bought this place.

apple cider
If you can, please consider making a donation to Owego Flood Relief.

8 comments:

Bianca said...

That does look like so much fun! I bet you've also made a lovely memory for your kids!

Colleen / Inspired to Share said...

Wow, awesome! Looks worth the hard work! The kids are so cute watching.

The Belvedere-Alyssa said...

You guys are turning into real farmers and country people! Looks so awesome!
That picture of Kicky waiting and watching is the cutest thing! So great you guys get to do these fun thing together!

curlygirlpress said...

Thank you for documenting! What a fun project. Let us know how the hard cider turns out. = )

sécia said...

WOW. Look at all of those apples! And those little, red boots are to die for!

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

house of violetta said...

oooo love apple picking-cider making time of the year! how lovely.

Sheena C. said...

I hope you've listened to Fleet Foxes new song, 'Helplessness Blues.'....."..if I had an orchard I'd work til I'm sore..."
it's such a great song, but if I had an orchard I'd play it all the time.
thanks for the post,
sheenacolleen.blogspot.com

Eva said...

Even though I know from personal experience that I hate farm work, seeing pictures like this makes me so want to have an orchard! Man do I want some apple cider now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...