The next few days are going to be so nice that we've decided to shift focus to the exterior of the house while we still can. The exterior of the barn, which is actually two large barns joined together with a small chicken coop in front, needs work. I say that as though it's not completely evident from the photo. Here's our list in random order:
- all of the metal signs need to come down (the easiest fix on the list).
- the entire barn needs to be shored up, re-sided, and painted. You may remember this lovely (but scary) image of the side of the barn...the back is worse. The image below is our inspiration photo. Wowza.
- that overgrown vine? It's a grape vine covering a small building. As much as it pains PRH to cut down a grape vine, we both agree that the location just isn't working out.
- the driveway needs to be re-stoned.
- all of the barn windows need to be replaced.
- the entire roof needs to be replaced and the electricity needs to be re-installed. It's the wrong voltage and gives me a heart attack every time I think about it (don't worry, we have it turned off). We also need to replace non-functioning, hideous barn lights.
(image above via architect: Derek Sanders)
So, within the next twenty years, we should have a barn that looks like this. For today, it's #1 and #3. Patience, right?