8.23.2011

Outdoor fireplace...

fire pit
The Hendrickson family is off to a late start this morning. My youngest brother and his fiancé stopped to see the house last night and a bonfire convinced them to stay a bit longer (btw, no hostas were harmed in the making of that bonfire). Our driveway is circular, and in the center is an old stone fire pit, a small garden, and an excellent climbing tree. I've been dreaming of an outdoor fireplace forever (remember this post?), but as you can see, our fire pit has seen better days. It still functions well, but it needs to be brought back to it's former glory. I like the shape of the outdoor fireplace in this photo by Tom and Susan Vance (via HGTV).

outdoor fireplace
I'm not really sure how to make that happen, but I'm going to spend the day digging rocks, moving flower beds, and thinking about it. We're trying to take advantage of good weather, so we've been vacillating between outdoor and indoor projects. PRH starts school at the end of this week, so it's crunch time. Anyone else going back to school soon? Anyone else obsessed with outdoor fireplaces?

11 comments:

Anna said...

i think everything tastes better cooked outside on the fire (corn, beans, smores). My mom & dad had this great old brick fireplace outside until my mom backed into it with her jeep. I miss that thing. But fire is fire and the beans still taste just as good cooked with a fire ring & a dutch oven.

Mo Pie, Please said...

We just bought a firepit for our yard but haven't used it yet. I can't wait to bust it out and have my company stay longer than expected because of it!

curlygirlpress said...

We have a firepit at the end of our yard, on a great patio space, and we've used it only once. Not sure how to remedy that, but maybe some furniture would help. = )

Mrsink said...

Those outdoor fireplaces make great memories! I love that your farmhouse has so many great things like that! :)

tinyparticlesoflight@blogspot.com said...

YES to outdoor fireplaces! And if it could be in moss-covered stone, even dreamier. We don't have room in our yard for a proper fireplace but we could squeeze a nice little copper fire pit. I think. ;)

xo
Cortnie

leFiligree said...

weve been back in school for a week already!

our fire pit is in dire need of a chimney to draw the smoke up and away, and a covered gazebo so we dont have to shovel snow or sit in the rain. im not sure if either of those upgrades will ever happen. however, we are very proud we can burn pallets in our pit.

Melissa Haworth said...

I've gotten into the idea of just an outdoor fire pit/ring (like you have at campsites). Hubby isn't into ripping up the lawn so we bought one of those metal fire "bowls" in the meantime. Your fireplace actually looks sort of awesome in its semi ruined state!

karen said...

About 15 yrs ago I was on my way to work and saw an ancient cast iron cooker on the side of the road. Think Weber but cast iron with legs only 3 inches of cast iron. When I got to work I called my husband and said I found our fire pit-please go get it honey! We put it on a piece of slate that we move to different locations in the yard. Fire pits art the best! Can't wait to see how you re-do yours. Loving all your pix! Karen from CT

Dana said...

I've been torn with this trend of outdoor rooms with massive fire places. They just seem like so much upkeep. I think your smaller version is much more practical - and cute too.

Gracie Chase said...

Duncan and I have always wanted an art door fireplace, as opposed to firepit. At our old house he built a big fieldstone rotunda with a firepit in the center--get him to help Phil! Up in Duluth, MN, there is a great one-week course on how to build an outdoor stone oven--
I AM SO LOVING EVERYTHING ABOUT THE HOUSE!

bb said...

im really into our chiminea this year... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgrud/5988683188/in/set-72157624874150399 and i wondered if you should just destroy your existing front patio a little bit more for a bumpier, more earthy, approach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...