8.24.2011

Left behind...

vintage photo
I mentioned the other day that the most recent owners of the farmhouse left behind an enormous pile of old photographs and ephemera. The day we closed we were actually shocked (and a little bit saddened) to find the pile still on an old tanker desk in the mudroom. We're not sure if any of the photos were taken at the farm (the photos above and directly below could have been), but they're all quite interesting nonetheless. This Fall I'm planning to spend some time at our local historical society researching the history of the house. In the meantime, here are a few of our favorite things that were left behind...

vintage photoI love the contrast between the little girls in this photo. The look of satisfaction on one and the indignant bent arm of the other is so classic.

vintage photoI've never seen an old photograph of a fire before this. The owner was a volunteer fireman, so that may explain the handful of fire photos...

vintage
vintageCheck out this beautiful little pop-up card...

vintage
vintageThis photo is an unusually narrow format...

vintageThe handwriting..oh my! Look at that gorgeous loopy 'M'...

vintageThe rest of the house was empty, but the barn isn't. We're anxious for projects to slow down a bit so we have time to look. That said, I'm off to paint more doors and finish my rock moving from yesterday. Have a lovely Wednesday!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Old photographs ALWAYS make me feel a little melancholy, but these especially! Left behind maybe, but not unappreciated:)

BTW, have loved following your renovation process....can't wait to get my hands on my own project house someday!

Emily Jean

curlygirlpress said...

Why left behind? I just don't get it. You're living part of my dream life - I always wanted to have an abandoned attic/barn/basement full of stuff at my disposal. I hope you find some goodies in there. = )

Annarack said...

These are all so wonderful....That pop-up card is amazing....I wish to find a card like that one day.

tinyparticlesoflight@blogspot.com said...

Those photos are so enchanting - and the card! I wonder what the story of each child is....

xo
Cortnie

patience said...

there is something about old photographs that is so beautiful. i doubt people will feel the same way in the future about our photographs now though!

oh, and i love "may your ship come in laden..." :)

Ann said...

wow, what an amazing find. I love the size of old photos. The long and narrow one is great. Maybe it's because I grew up on the 5x7" photographs, or maybe it's the fact that digital photos are pretty size-less, but there's nothing like finding a square format photo in an old bin of family pictures.
I do wonder what it will be like for future generations. Will they get to experience what you're experiencing by finding these? Hmm..

Suze said...

I love the birthday card with the ship. Absolutely lovely.

leFiligree said...

the pop-up card really needs to be reissued--its awesome. i like the group shots of the children, too. there's gotta be something you can do with the pile.

pinkshirtsandcarwrecks said...

Oh my, these are amazing! I especially love that pop-up card (let me know if you ever decide to put it in your shop!!) What a treat to have those!

My good friend bought her house that belonged to my other good friend's great aunt. She was bequeathed a box of old slides that showed her house being built in the 40s and how it's progressed. So cool!

taylor elyse said...

oh my goodness, that pop-up birthday card is incredible!!! what a treasure.

Kristen said...

Those photos and cards are amazing! Interesting to see what else you find out about the house and family

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...