8.22.2011

It's going to take some convincing...

library
We have a weird little room off our of living room that's literally only big enough to house an old soapstone wood stove. The room meausres about 7 feet square. I'd love to take out the woodstove and make the room into a tiny jewel box of a library. Most of these rooms are completely outside the realm of possibility, but there are ideas to be had from each and they all have the vibe I'm thinking about. The room above from Lonny Magazine Dec 2010, designed by Lulu Power and photographed by Patrick Cline, is one of my favorite rooms ever. Those windows...oh, those windows! Here's what would work in our room: the color and the forward-facing books.

Let's move on to this photo of Paul Fortune's Laurel Canyon home. The haphazardness of the books really appeals to me, particularly where they've been tucked into the rafters. With two young kids in the house, we can certainly do haphazard books.

library
This image from Elle Decor (via The Goods Design) was taken at the home of CASA MIDY owner. I'm a sucker for library ladders. The only element that would work for us? Concealed storage on the bottom of each shelf.

library
And, finally, this photo by Nikolas Koenig via Real Simple is the most realistic and do-able. I even have a ladder like that!


I'm convinced. Are you? Now it's just a matter of convincing PRH and making an effort to help...instead of perhaps spending the day reading a biography of Sonic Youth while he bakes an apple crisp and puts up drywall. Some days I'm such a lazy jerk.

15 comments:

Paulette said...

You had me at "library..." p.s. Tell PRH we're having an apple crisp bake-off when I come visit as it's one of my specialties! :-)

April said...

I love the idea of a small little library nook. I'm sure it's totally doable. Good luck getting PRH on board!

Francesca said...

i absolutely love library ladders. you could get one of those ones that slides across on runners. that would be space saving too. dreammy. x

Kim Hambric said...

In my previous home, there was a computer room or nursery or some such room. Teeny - 5.5 x 7 feet with an odd corner taking out some prime real estate. Having almost no money, we found 3 sets of used book shelves, two reading chairs, and a little table for cocktails. We spent several evenings a week in that little room, reading away. Now we are in a different home and have a daughter. Less time to spend in a little room reading each day, but we never stop talking about that little room.

I say go for it. I'm all for not having a wood stove determine the function of a room.

curlygirlpress said...

Oh please put a jewel-box library in, pretty please! I LOVE how the dark colors in several of your photos set off the bright spines and covers. Yummy. Have fun with this project!

The Belvedere said...

I love all of them, the idea of a library space is so romantic and dreamy!

The last one is a winner in my mind- hold a ton of stuff, totally casual and attainable. Love all the fun little details. And the ikea magazine holders at the bottom are a great solution for the 'covered storage' at the bottom!

Dana said...

All I need to live are full bookshelves and a seat. Your space sounds like the perfect "book nook".

Anna said...

I adore built in bookcase walls. This would be so amazing to have in your home!

Annarack said...

I love all of these ideas....the first photo is my fav....the windows are cool too :)

tinyparticlesoflight@blogspot.com said...

I've always dreamed of having a home in Laurel Canyon and a beautiful cozy library....I hope you guys can work it out!

xo
Cortnie

Anna said...

I've always wanted a library & a window seat! love the library nook idea!

Making it Lovely said...

Yes, do it! We made our upstairs landing into a library, and it's among our favorite things in this house. Sounds like you have the perfect nook for it.

Shannon said...

Love it! You should totally do it. And then let those of us who hardly have a space for a bookshelf lust after it.

Love that Paulette said..."you had me at library." I am with her.

Michele said...

Agree with the above comments - you had me at library! They are all fabulous in their own way - hope it happens soon!!

xoxo michele

Sarah said...

I thought it was only me that daydreamed of a library like those :) Good luck with the plans!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...