8.12.2011

Exterior doors...

thomas o'brien
On the agenda today? I'm painting all of the exterior doors while PRH installs a new pedestal sink in the upstairs bathroom. I've been drawing a lot of inspiration from Thomas O'Brien's book, American Modern, particularly the old schoolhouse that he renovated. Anne from The City Sage perfectly articulates what's so fabulous about his space and shared a bunch of images from the book. Most of the doors in his house are painted black, which I love. So, yesterday, I went to the hardware store with the intention of buying black paint, but surprised myself by coming home with a really deep green instead. I know that my natural inclination almost always errs towards color (the door of our little house was bright red), but I'm trying to take it down a notch. What color are your exterior doors? I'm off to a late start this morning, so wish me luck!

image above from American Modern by Thomas O'Brien

6 comments:

Lex said...

Dark green is the most effective colour that can blend in and camouflage with nature. That's why most gardening items are that colour. It's the colour of a shadow in the woods.

chiara said...

It's going to look so nice. I'm sooo jealous of your adventure. A few years ago I stayed at a friend's house across the street from Thomas O'Brien's place, but never got the courage to go peak in the windows (he wasn't home), but I totally wanted to.

sécia said...

Ours are white at the moment but eagerly awaiting some sea foam green...

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

leFiligree said...

our exterior doors are olive green. i think it was called florida palm, but i would call it army green.

i love a dark door! myterious

mixette said...

I recently painted the inside of my (glossy aqua) front door with black chalkboard paint, and I found this little article http://bit.ly/qECeTM really helpful because I wasn't sure which edge should be which color.

Thought you might find it useful!

abby gail said...

our doors are brick red and the front door hgas a copper green fox as a door knocker.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...