7.21.2011

A dream realized...

farmhouse renovation
So, you've seen a few of the houses that didn't make the final cut. Let's take a look at the one that finally did, shall we? The first time we saw this farmhouse was well over a year ago and it was awful. I mean, absolutely disgusting...we could smell mold the minute we walked in the door, the only bathtub was full of wrapping paper from the 1970's, and the stuff piled everywhere else left only a narrow path for us to walk through the house. It had definitely seen better days. We had looked at a TON of houses at that point and my thought was that if I couldn't see past the junk, no amount of chatter on my part would convince PRH to buy it. We both voted NO after that first visit. Fast forward about a year and our wonderful (and patient!) agent, Ken Howe from RealtyUSA, contacted us to say that the farmhouse hadn't sold, but had been cleaned out. Did we want to take one more look? I had dragged PRH to so many houses that he boycotted this visit. So, while he was off at work, I packed up the babies and we went to give this farmhouse one last chance. I don't know what shifted over that year, but the moment I pulled into the driveway, I knew we'd buy the house. There were a few days when we thought the house sold to a cash buyer (remember this post?); mass amounts of crying proved that this was the place for us and the seller accepted our offer on March 4th. 140 days later, we own a farm!!! It definitely hasn't been easy and our project list is long, but we're thinking it'll be worth it. I'm not sure how this doesn't terrify me, but here's what we have to look forward to as far as the interior goes (my favorite part). Houndstooth, anyone?

farmhouse renovation
goodbye, mirrored tiles everywhere...

farmhouse renovationgoodbye, filthy mudroom...

farmhouse renovationgoodbye, gross staircase...

farmhouse renovationsso long, repulsive kitchen...

farmhouse renovationsgoodbye, dirty upstairs floors ...

farmhouse renovationsadios, moldy wallpaper and nasty green carpeting...

farmhouse renovationsWe're SO happy to have the key in our hands and enjoy this. As EZ E said yesterday, "I have lots of excited to be a farmer."...

renovation
Thank you all for sticking with me over the last few months. I can't wait to keep you updated on all of our projects!
xo, Abbey

27 comments:

Lynn said...

Finally! I am SOOOOO HAPPY for you, and I cannot wait to follow its progress from this to what I just know it's going to become!

Amanda said...

SO SO SO happy for you guys! I also have excitement about you all being farmers!

marisa said...

hooray, hooray! what an awesome undertaking. i have lots of excited to see your progress, bit by bit. :)

Michelle said...

I see loads of potential! Good luck to you! I'm excited to see how it all turns out!

Mary Kenny said...

Congratulations, the ups and downs of purchasing 'the' house, exhausting. Now you get to move all those boxes and artwork!

bklopst said...

So glad everything turned out for the best!
Im sure you and your family will make it a wonderful home.

Erin said...

So many CONGRATULATIONS, Abbey!! Finally, hey? I can't wait to see the progress you make!!

sophia said...

to hold the keys in your hand...THAT is the greatest feeling!!!
CONGRATULATIONS to you and your whole family Abbey.

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

YES!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

It's beautiful. Congratulations. I can't wait to see the after pictures.

Juliana said...

Congratulations! My parents bought a run-down old farmhouse 22 years ago. The fixing-up process is on-going, but they are still goofily in love with the place & intend to stay there for the rest of their lives.

meg said...

oh my! Congratulations! and please keep the houndstooth and the red walls; and the stairs too or leave those bits until last. They are good, if disgustingly dirty. The mirror tiles on the other hand...

C. said...

I'll be living vicariously through you! Congratulations!

Jeanette said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! TO YOU AND THE FAMILY!! Tell EZ E he's gonna love bein a farmer!! :-)

Cathy Graves said...

That aerial shot cinched it for me--what a gorgeous piece of property!! Now I am jealous and oh, so happy for you and your family. What an exciting adventure it is going to be transforming the house into your dream home. Think I'll stick around for the ride!!

LookWhatICanDi said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!
We had an offer on a house that was a short sale
For 8 months....all the while we still kept looking and 8 months later when we found a much nicer house...I waaaay better shape ( as we had no $$$ to renovate)
we rescinded our offer & made an offer on two different homes that were both priced 20,000 dollars over our price range thinking why not??? One offer wad rejected ...and later sold fir what we offered...but the other was counter offered...and we counter offered and kept it in our price range...offering the most we could & getting it for 20,000 under the asking price with closing costs included as our loan would not allow us to pay them!!! We were able to paint & unwallpaper the main floor, buy all new appliances...still don't have a dishwasher...and replace the eletricial panel & change out all the outlets to 3 prong ( thank goodness for our Electrician cousins- doing all that work for $300.00) Now we are finally painting our huge daylight basement!!!
It always works out but man we had over s year of looking filled with stress!!!!!
So I look forward to seeing your new farmhouse come to life!!!!!! You and your family deserve a home of your very own!!!!!!!

Emily Anne said...

I for one, am proud of you guys for being willing to take this on. It's an awesome place. The kitchen is definately creepy, so hurry up and get to work so we can see some before and afters!

leFiligree said...

hey, i kinda like the green wallpaper...i'm glad it finally happened so we can see you do your outburst magic!

sécia said...

Wow! Look at all of the potential this place holds! Awesome.

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

martha brown said...

Congratulations! whew. I've been worried for you!

angela hardison said...

what a dream! it's going to be so so amazing... so excited for you, and can't wait to watch the progress!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, I looked right past the houndstooth to the size of the baseboards. You guys are gonna ROCK this house! Be patient, take your time and love every minute of it- CONGRATS!

priyanka said...

I am a huge lover of your blog! Look at my website, You can submit your blog there!

Self Catering Apartment Camps Bay

sara said...

oh man, i just commented on the faux-stone in the kitchen, but that's nothing compared to the rest! your house is going to be amazing when you're finished...and clearly the house inspires creativity, too...

conversationpieces said...

Oooh exciting, exciting... it's going to be an amazing transformation when it's done. (Amazingly I'm a little jealous as we're pretty much done our renovation project... never thought I would say that!)

mopar said...

Is that a real kerosene lamp hanging in the kitchen? Did you keep it? They look nice wired over a dining room table. If you check Ruby Lane, you will see they are worth $600 to $2,000. The ruby colored ones are most desirable.

c.m.a.decor said...

Wow Wow Wow!!! Our story is almost identical! We purchased our 1870's farmhouse 8 plus years ago. It was a HUD home. We walked into a moldy, 1960/70's scary nightmare, but with amazing bones. Armed with our dreams, tons of sweat equity and design vision, it has been transformed into our families loving home. You will never work harder with such a special pay off. Good luck! Congrats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...