6.21.2011

Final inspections...

farmhouse renovation
The week that the appraiser came through to inspect the farmhouse, it rained like crazy around here. The Susquehanna River was flooded, sump pumps were working overtime, and everyone's basement was damp...including the basement of the farmhouse. The house itself was built in 1880 and has a dry laid stone foundation, so moisture getting into the basement isn't really a shocker. It's also waaaayyyyyyy up on a hill, far away from the river. The appraiser, however, thought it was a big deal and required us to hire a licensed structural engineer to inspect the house and determine whether or not it's structurally sound. Argh! Yesterday the structural engineer and the appraiser came at the same time for final inspections. I'm happy to report that our farmhouse passed with flying colors. That baby is sturdy! So, after 4 long months, we should close within the next week or so.

First thing on the agenda after close? This little room on the back of the house needs to be completely gutted and that weirdo cinderblock chimney is coming down. Do you hear that, chimney?! You're toast. That other ugly chimney better not get too comfortable either (that one's only getting painted). What I really want to do is change around those flower beds and that fieldstone patio, but since I've already threatened the chimneys...

farmhouse renovation

********************************************************************************
Thanks to tiny prints for sponsoring this post.


Interested in sponsoring a farmhouse post/project? Rates start as low as $20. Email me at hownowdesign [at] yahoo [dot] com

9 comments:

Jane Flanagan said...

Yay! So glad all the inspections passed. You sound like a woman on a razing mission!

Sara Marie said...

Your house is so sweet and I totally understand your frustrations!
We just bought a house right next to a small creek that runs through town which has been running a little high because of all the snow melt in Colorado. We knew we need flood insurance because it is in a FEMA designated flood plane but no insurance company would give it to us until we hired a surveyor to do an elevation certificate to prove that we are in a flood plane. It was incredibly annoying.

Mrsink said...

yay!! thank goodness! I bet you guys are thrilled. I am excited to see your new home projects and glad you guys are over the logistics of inspections and negotiations.

Anna said...

I have been so gone from blog land I didn't realize your farmhouse dreams came true! Congrats :)
I can't wait to see the awesome !!

Mo Pie, Please said...

Congratulations!! We close on our house next Friday - can't wait! I have some tricks up my sleeve for some things in our old house, too!

sécia said...

I LOVE this house!

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Karyn said...

Fantastic!

sarah said...

Congrats Abbey. The house looks gorgeous and plays right into my memories of growing up watching American tv/movies (from Australia) and seeing pretty homes just like that one! The whole setting is so picturesque - that aerial shot in another post - yowser!

Tiffany said...

I can't tell you how much reading this post resonated with me! I am sorry it took 4 months, but since my husband and I are well into our 3'rd month of trying to purchase our little farm house, it gave me a burst of confidence it might actually work out. :) Gorgeous home, and congratulations on it finally coming together!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...