6.03.2011

The business of turning four...

party
As I mentioned yesterday, we had a little party for EZ E for his fourth birthday. Since the fair is in town and we can see it from our backyard, we went with a cotton candy theme (I know...huh?!) and tried to keep it pretty simple. Here are the details: I made my favorite chocolate cake recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks, which is a cookbook that I happen to really love (thanks, Aunt Anna!).

partyThe giant four balloon that Mr. Bruised Legs (aka EZ E) is holding came from our local party store. We both loved it.

partyI made the streamers after seeing this tutorial on Oh Happy Day. Lazy fact: I didn't feel like lugging the babies into two stores, so I just snagged paper placemats at the party store and cut them down. Then I hung them on the ceiling with double-sided tape so they'd come down easily (but not too easily). I left the windows open and they fluttered in the breeze and sounded like rain.

partyThe favors were, of course, small bags of cotton candy. I bought cotton candy at the party store, repackaged it in plastic bags, printed out black and white stripes on blue paper, and stapled the bags closed. Easy.

party
partyAnd someone playing with his Scooby Doo Haunted Mansion the day after the party (thanks, Aunt Trish). See his curly hair sticking out? He's a man obsessed.

partyI figured that everyone would hang out at our house for a bit and then walk over to the carnival. No one did. We ate, hung out in the yard, drank wine, and watched the kiddos run around. My mother-in-law was decidedly not on her best behavior, which is always fun. It was definitely an entertaining evening at the AO house.

10 comments:

Beaner said...

I LOVE all your birthday posts! Always so creative and cost efficient! I don't have kids but boy when I do I'll be searching your archives for beautiful ways to show my kids how glad I am they were born! Fantastic!

frecklewonder said...

HAPPY 4th EZ E!!!!!!!

great looking party, mama. but that is no surprise at all. ;)

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great party to me!

anika said...

Looks like a really fun party! I love the streamers--might have to try that sometime & i think the cotton candy party favors are so cool!

Coralie said...

Nice photos !

I like your blog ! If you like French fashion, I invite you to check out mine ! Tell me what you think, and maybe follow me if you like it ;)



xx



www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

sécia said...

Fantastic! Love that frosting color too.

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Amanda Mae said...

This is seriously cute. Oh my goodness. I just love your life.

Paulette said...

A--I realize that turning 42 is not quite the same as turning 4, but you're still in charge of my next party. Don't worry--you've got till January to plan and make cool stuff. (By which I mean, of course, what a lovely party and I'm glad E had such a wonderful celebration!)

chiara said...

what a good party. so smart with the dollar store cotton candy.! I'm getting ready to have a rainbow party for my 4-year old this weekend, inspired by yours! (he actually requested it) thank you!

MissShapes said...

What a great looking party! And I know ALL about mother in laws who don't behave...hope it didn't ruin your time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...