4.11.2011

Thrift score...

vintage drawings
Last week I took advantage of PRH's Friday off and took myself out on an afternoon date. My first stop was the local antique store where I picked up all of this loot. The sketches are from a nondescript book that was on the dollar table (the *one* dollar table, that is!!!). I carried it around for half an hour before I even looked in it...and then opened it up to find all of these incredible drawings. I'm guessing the fox image below is an illustration of an Aesop's Fable?

vintage drawingsI'd like to see this house in person...

vintage drawingsThis squirrel is a slob! Come on, man. I'm sick of cleaning up after you...

vintage drawingsI have to go talk to a guy about a yellow ship. No worries, I'm a gigantic rabbit and I'm bringing two friends...

vintage drawingsThe primary goal of my trip was to look for embroidery inspiration. I found this simple, geometric embroidered table runner that I love. Look for that color palette in a future project.

vintage drawingsAnd then, stashed in a skeevy cardboard box under the equally skeevy dollar table...a darning sampler! Score of the century, my friends! I've been wanting one since I posted this and made this. I'm thrilled in the dorkiest way possible and have decided to take myself out on dates more often.

vintage drawings

14 comments:

Eartha Kitsch said...

What great scores! I love messy squirrel. It's so amazing sometimes how you want something so badly and then poof! it shows up in a thrift store for you to find.

Kelly Rae Burns said...

those are some amazing drawings-very awesome thrifting find! :)

sarah said...

Hi Abbey have you seen the embroidery of maricor maricar? It's beautiful. I found it via lovely morning dot com on Friday just gone. Very colourful and detailed. I think you will like it!

Deborah said...

Wow...you found some awesome treasures...I love your idea of taking yourself on a date....I want to do that for myself...thrift shops here I come!

1,001 Blessings...Deborah

Mo Pie, Please said...

I love it when you find such good stuff at thrift and antique stores. Well done!

Nancy said...

Great finds! Looks like you snagged some 12 year old's sketch book!!! I've got one similar from when I was young-I'm embarrassed to look back on it but everyone else seems to treasure it:)

Emma at The Marion House Book said...

I love those wonky houses - what a find!

andrea said...

wow you really got lucky! That notebook looks like a great find. You should frame those houses. Although it makes me kind of upset that somebody put so much effort into something that ended up at the thrift store.

thewindhover said...

What an incredible find! I love the houses especially...

Heather said...

Those are some seriously sweet scores!

billie said...

Seems you have some amazing thrift stores where you live! Lots of thrift stores here in NYC but I feel like it always gets more interesting once you leave the city...

Patti B said...

those drawings are magical. just magical.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks, everyone! I was thrilled (still am).

Eartha K- you're SO right! I love when that happens.

Thanks, Kelly Rae!

Sarah- I haven't seen it- going to check it out right now. :) Thanks!

Deborah- I'm taking myself on dates more often for sure! It was so fun.

Nancy- I'm sure yours are awesome. I still have mine too and they're hysterical. I'll share. :)

Andrea- I know exactly what you mean about being sad to find something like that in a thrift store. I look at it as giving it a new lease on life. :)
xo,
Abbey

Janee Lookerse said...

Actually I used two of your images :) Hope you dont mind!

xoxo
Janee
yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...