2.24.2011

Kitchen...

kitchen
After reading this post about our house tour on Houzz, a few readers emailed to ask why I never show certain rooms in our house. What does our kitchen and our bathroom look like? Our bedroom, Kicky's room, etc? Almost every person who lives without oodles of cash, lives with rooms/decor in her (or his) house that she doesn't really like. This is particularly true for renters who, in addition, may not have permission to make changes. We rent this house from my grandmother, so there are things that we can't change (that said, my grandma was very kind and let me paint our front door red and swap out some wall sconces, as long as I saved the old ones to change them back when we move). You all seemed to enjoyed my dose of reality last week, so I thought I'd step forward with images of our kitchen that I've never shown before. There are things I like about this kitchen and things I'm not crazy about. So, making every effort to not sound like an ungrateful, jerk granddaughter (thank you for letting us live here, Grandma!), let's start the kitchen tour. The door on the right is our pantry closet, which I totally love. It genuinely makes my life so much easier, especially when the bottom shelf isn't being taken up by a carboy of brewing beer (PRH...it was an IPA last week). The other door goes to the garage, which is also convenient. What's not to love? Prepare yourselves for my anal retentiveness to rear it's ugly head: the doors don't match and, up until last week, the window to the garage was clear, so you could see all of the cluttery garage stuff while standing in the kitchen. We can't change the door and it was making me insane, so PRH picked up window cling film for $1 a yard at our local hardware store. It took about an hour to put up, it looks SO much better, and it's removable. I'm also not in love with how the metal cabinet juts out into the room, but it holds all of our utensils and miscellany, so it's a necessary evil.

kitchenThe two bowls on the counter hold recyclables. One holds plastic caps, an inordinate number of wine corks, and other bit and bobs that could be repurposed for found art projects. The other bowl holds food scraps on their way to the compost bin. I'd probably change the floors.

kitchen
kitchen
When the house was remodeled about five years ago, my dad and brother (the contractors who handled the remodel) were really great about listening to the needs of my aunt (the person who rented before us) and my grandmother, should she ever want to move back into this house. They raised the ceilings in the kitchen (love that), but then intentionally hung the cabinets really low (don't love that) because both my aunt and my grandmother are very short. I'm 5'8" and PRH is almost 6', so low cabinets don't really work for us, particularly when trying to use the stove.

kitchenA few of my cutting boards...I'm a cutting board freak. Do you see Spiderman on the floor? Story of my life. The drawers next to the stove are great. A word on the countertops: they are very functional. I think this pattern was designed to hide grime really well and it works...too well.

kitchenCookbooks live on top of the cabinets, the ceiling fan does come in handy even though I'm not a fan (ha!), and a little broom lives on the side of the metal cabinet for quick clean-ups...

kitchenToys that are taken away from little people who misbehave live on top of the fridge. Yesterday it was legos. The print is by our friend Rachael of Pistachio Press.

kitchenSo, that's the end of the tour. I realize that, in the grand scheme of things, this kitchen is nice. We've lived with some horrible kitchens in the past and this is by far the best. I like to think that it's teaching me what I'll want in the kitchen of my dreams (a backsplash behind the stove and sink, hardwood floors, more counter space by the stove, a designated spot for garbage and recycling, and tall cabinets). Tomorrow...the bathroom.

12 comments:

Jane Flanagan said...

I love this post! Just as I love any post that picks away the veneer of perfection that sometimes lies on top of all our blogs.

I'm a renter too, so I completely identify with hating certain things, that as an owner you would instantly rip out or replace or paint etc. But there's always a downside. And even if I owned, I'd have to make constant compromises on finishes etc. due to budget.

That said, your home is really lovely!!

Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All said...

Thanks for sharing! This is really not bad at all!!! I love your trash can.

And take it from a home-owner — Just because one may "own" their home, doesn't mean they have the time, energy or resources to make everything "perfect"!

Norma said...

Love your style and I think its great but I know what you're saying when there are things you'd rather change if it was yours.

Anonymous said...

What happened to all of your beautiful bundt cake pans?

Shannon said...

Haha, confiscated toys live on the top of our fridge too! I imagine it's a pretty common place to put them. Hmm, could be an interesting photo series…
I'm a sucker for well styled spaces, but its also so interesting to see the compromises, the imperfections, and the more mundane details. As always, thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

I'm not quite 5'2 and my rental kitchen cabinets are SO tall, I'm constantly on my tiptoes. They'd be perfect for you. I'd happily trade for hobbit-height ones!

Kathleen said...

I can relate to not having the kitchen of your dream. My kitchen is super small and needs some work. Your kitchen is nice, but I understand the little thing that bother you and wish you could change!

April said...

I'm intrigued by your bowl of random plastic pieces. Do you make something once the bowl is full? I'm always feeling guilty for throwing such things out.

Melissa said...

I just recently discovered your blog--after your guest post on Elsie Marley--and love it!

Thanks for the Charley Harper; now it's on my wishlist.

And I love the farmhouse possibilities, but I've popped into the comments today because of your "dream kitchen." You and I, evidently, have the same countertops, and I am feeling your pain about hiding grime too well. It totally grosses me out not to be able to see the dirt/sticky mysteries that need to be cleaned. May I make a suggestion, though, about the hardwood floors? Have those, too, and they're not so great esp in spaces that take drips, etc. Next time we redo, I'm thinking some sort of textured tile that won't be break-neck slippery when wet but still be easy to clean, not linoleum, etc.

Just a (thousand) thoughts.

Looking forward to your next post!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks, Jane! Vicki, you're totally right...it isn't bad. :) The trash can is from homegoods.

Most of the bundt pans are in storage- I got tired of dusting them. :) I have a few in rotation in the kitchen to actually use.

Shannon, I'm happy to hear that we're not the only family who keeps toys on the fridge. Ha ha! It would be a fascinating series.

Kate, I'll trade you.

April- we just use them whenever the mood strikes (with proper supervision for tiny people, of course). Tacky glue and a bowl of caps makes a certain 3-year-old's heart all a flutter. He glues them to paper, boxes, or whatever else we can find.

Melissa- thanks for the hardwood tip. My parents have travertine in their kitchen and it's beautiful. I like very small marble tiles, but they have marble in their foyer and it's really slippery. I like small black penny tiles too. Someday I'll get a chance to figure this all out. :)

elizabeth said...

I want your red trash can!

becky said...

such a small detail, but it caught my eye... the cookbooks above the cabinets. I keep mine in a drawer but I'm going to move them to higher ground. yay! thanks for the little unintentional inspiration :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...