1.25.2011

On parenting and over-confidence...

seagulls
After successfully taking EZ E and Kicky to a sit-down lunch all by myself last week, I was feeling pretty confident. Kicky had a 15 month check up yesterday, so afterwards I decided to take them both to the Ithaca Bakery for lunch, one of our favorite spots. Oh my word. I should have known better. They were SO naughty... running around, climbing all over the booth, screaming, going under the table, throwing food, etc. We lasted for about five minutes before I grabbed them both and headed out the door with my partially eaten sandwich still on the plate. I had just settled EZ E into his car seat and was wrestling Kicky into hers when I head a thud on the roof of the car. I looked up in time to see a seagull carrying my sandwich off into the sky. A freaking seagull with my sandwich! To add insult to injury, the beast tried to come back for a bit it had dropped, but I shooed it away with a steady stream of expletives (don't worry, the kids were too busy screaming to hear my filthy mouth). So today, I leave you with two bits of advice: don't be overly confident and don't put your sandwich on the roof of your car.

11 comments:

Courtney Price ~ Vintage Ginger Peaches said...

This always happens to me... right after I think "wow, the kids have been so well behaved! I have it all figured out!"

Also, seagulls suck :)

nkp said...

Aw shucks, sorry about your sandwich and the relaxing lunch that was not to be. Good advice all around. Parenthood...just when you think you got it all under control, uh, yeah, well you know the rest. ;0)

Good to hear we're all in the same boat. Thanks for sharing, made me smile.

jennyrush said...

classic. did you really need the freaking head thump on the car roof too?
how about a valentine for your lost sandwich?

chiara said...

oh, hilarious. I have a 18-month old and a 3.5 year old. I'm patiently waiting for the day we can eat in a restaurant together.

paulamccartney said...

That is one of the things I miss most about my life, pre-O--going out to eat. It is one of my favorite things to do! We didn't go out for 5 long months in a row after similar incidents , but then decided to give it a try again, taking him to a bakery cafe where he happily gobbles up a scone while we eat soup-at least it is soup someone else made!

Karen Fields said...

Hindsight 20/20...it gets better :)

Norine said...

OK, seriously funny story. I actually miss those days ---- mine are all adults now with impeccable manners and I cannot remember the last time I had to leave anyplace in a hurry. Sigh.

Linen and Tulle said...

I was laughing out loud. This is my life in so many ways. As soon as the older ones behaved, the youngest ones stopped.

Maile (My-lee) Ann said...

Aww. You are a stronger and better person than me. Home schooling and such fun kiddy projects. I opted not to have kids. I figured I was not capable of handling moments like the one you just described. Plus, when I was a kid, my mom worked, took care of two kids and a household, AND made sure we were well-rounded while my work-a-holic dad started a business. Anyway, what I observed scared the $#@% out of me...

I am so sorry about your sandwich...

Maile

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Seagulls do suck! Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Maile Ann, I am definitely a glutton for punishment, but I don't home school. EZ E is in preschool 3 days/week (he's 3). :) Norine, I know...it's already going by so fast!

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

We are cut from the same cloth my friend. I think I know the verbal hurting you gave that seagull!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...