12.22.2010

Doll quilt...

doll quilt
The onset of 20 in 20 brought with it a freakish urge need to make handmade christmas gifts for EZ E and Kicky. I wish I had gotten a start on them prior to this crazy week but I didn't, so now I'm making myself insane the week before christmas trying to finish up a million projects. I digress. Last summer I found a beautiful, really old doll bed at a garage sale. A couple of the pieces had come apart and it's been sitting in our garage for months, waiting to be fixed. I was planning to reassemble it and give it to Kicky, but EZ E has a sock monkey that he's quite fond of who's in desperate need of a bed and a quilt (anything to silence a sock monkey). I've long admired Hillary Lang's handmade doll quilts and decided to try my hand at making one. I've never made this kind of quilt before (I've made this, this, this), but I found this tutorial to be very helpful. I also took much inspiration from the following gorgeous quilts: 1, 2, and 3. I still have some fussy details to finish up, but overall I think sock monkey will like his wonky little quilt. And if he doesn't, I don't care because he can't talk. I'll share photos of the doll bed once that's finished...oh, and Kicky's present too. Aaggghhhhhhhhhh!

doll quilt
doll quilt

6 comments:

AbbieBabble said...

When we were tiny, my mom made doll quilts for my sister and me. We still treasure them, just as I know EZ-E and the sock monkey will love this one!

Paulette said...

Gorgeous!

Tammy said...

I love the gray with pattern balance!

Belle said...

It is really lovely! Sock Monkey will be snug and warm.

Mamabear said...

I love chevrons...and your fabric choice is great!

KarenQuilt said...

I am so delighted to stumble into your blog! Collecting doll quilts has become my salvation as a quilt collector because crib and doll quilts don't take up so much room and 20th century ones are still fairly reasonable. Hooray! After the holidays -- once you have all those projects done! -- please stop by my blog and see part of my doll quilt collection. You can see them in one of my April 2009 posts. Lucky little Sock Monkey to get his own quilt! http://karenquilt.blogspot.com/search/label/doll%20quilts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...