12.17.2010

20 in 20 (day 15)...


20 handmade ornaments, 20 days...day 15. Our friends gave us several boxes (boxes!) of cookie cutters and among those were a variety of tree-shaped cookie cutters. EZ E and I decided to use the tree cookie cutters to make a thank you gift. We used Martha Stewart's dough recipe from the December 2010 issue of Living, EZ E painted all of the trees (we put glue in the paint, which made it dry smoother), and then we put on the silver glitter. The container is actually an empty formula container that I painted with black acrylic paint. Once it dried, I glued on some thin green ribbon and vintage ceramic letters, added the floral foam, moss, and twigs, and voilĂ ! Apparently I have a thing for twigs in containers. I have to admit that when we gave it to our friends I was a little embarrassed by the unwieldiness of our gift. I told them that it must be like getting a three-armed sweater from your grandma...a gift surely accompanied by a big 'what the heck'? It's the thought that counts, right? Happy 20 in 20.






*photos by Abbey Hendrickson/Aesthetic Outburst*

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Adorable! I like the idea of these twig in container collections (especially liked the birds). I hope you'll be posting a pic of a tree or other display that features ALL of your ornaments! What a fun project.

Mamabear said...

This is AWESOME!! What a wide variety of colors! I recently made edible trees...the whole flooding the icing thing is rough!

Ashley said...

I adore this tree! I'm a little late at finding your blog (missed most of the ornaments you've made...), but I'm catching up now and will likely spend the rest of my time at work today looking through your archives! So many inspiring ideas!

Abigail Shaw said...

These trees are great, I love how each one has its own little personality. I'm so glad I ran into your blog, I'm definitely following it!

shaunapc said...

I have been trying to find a salt dough recipe that gives the results that you show in these pictures, but I can't find the Martha Stewart recipe for the dough that you mention. Would you mind sharing the recipe? THANKS!!!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

I'm not sure of the exact recipe- it was in the magazine last year, I think. Sorry! If I come across it, I'll be sure to let you know.
:)
Abbey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...