11.10.2010

Before and after...

I said something last week about reupholstering a rocking chair that I found at our local thrift store. It was a quick job, but I didn't get a chance to take a photo until yesterday. Here's the chair before in a cat-hair covered orangey-red canvas. I actually didn't mind the color of the canvas, but the material itself was on the wrong side of ick and felt a bit greasy (I know, did you just throw up?)...


Here we are after. I brought home a variety of materials to try, most of which were poppy, Amy Butler-ish fabrics, but I ended up going with an understated, classic wool suiting. An odd choice for me, but I decided that it would be the most enduring choice, taste-wise...



a close-up of the patina on the arms (love!) and the material...


and even closer...


Eventually I'll share photos of the house in its entirety, but I need to reupholster our gross couch before that happens (I'm really dragging my feet reupholstering that beast). There are snippets here though. What do you think?

15 comments:

Roseanna said...

You did a great job of reupholstering the rocker, what a great find...I totally "get" your style!!

Expats Again said...

Good choice of fabric. I love the chair.

Evelyn Campbell Curtis said...

It looks great! Nice work! I enjoy refinishing chairs etc.

Jess said...

Nice work! The fabric you picked is really beautiful with the wood!

The Lady Nomad said...

Great job on the rocker :o)
I don't envy you for reupholstering that sofa though - blech ;o)
Good luck with it!

Elizabeth said...

I love that you made the rocker new while still keeping the cozy velveteen rabbit, loved feel of it. Can't wait to see your remake of that couch.

KristinChaos said...

It looks great! I would rock my night away in that chair!

yellow hall studio. said...

Wow! I just looked through all your photos of your home on flickr. Can I come live there?!?!? :)

yhs.

oaxacaborn said...

Just clicked through to your 'snippets' link -- loving in the bright pops of color in the flickr set!

Also, kudos for redoing that rocker. I wouldn't have looked twice at it in the store.

Crystal Jeffers said...

I love the new fabric for the rocker. what a great find! I love antique furniture.

Alexa O said...

I always think it is important to have a few classic fabrics in a design, even though my usual taste runs more along the lines of yours. Especially with a great, classic chair like that. Very sophisticated.

Shirley said...

Definitely an improvement! Great job!

Trix's Mix said...

It is so tastefully done...like everything you do! I love that red edge on the blanket or is it a throw?

Mini Me said...

What a beautiful chair!! I love the "worn in" look.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks so much! I'm glad I went with the sort of neutral trad fabric. The sofa is going to be a bear- I'm NOT looking forward to it.
@Trix's Mix- it's kind of a blanket/throw. No one likes it because it's scratchy (well, except me b/c I like scratchy), so it lives on my chair. :)
@yhs- yes you can live with us. :) At least come for coffee and/or a cocktail. :)
xo,
Abbey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...