10.26.2010

Kicky's halloween costume 2010...

costume
I've had the idea for Kicky's costume for several months and was really looking forward to making it...until I actually started it. My plan was to buy a grocery store bouquet of flowers and just sort of go from there. Once I got my hands on the fabric, I felt like I was back in grad school, sitting in my studio staring at the wall, trying to think. Eventually though, I stopped thinking about it and just started constructing. It finally came together very late Sunday night and I'm pretty happy with the results. Here's our little bouquet of flowers...

costume
costume
Trying to take a decent photo of an angry bouquet of flowers is difficult...

costume
so here are some shots of the costume hanging on our wall. I used wool and acrylic felt for the base and the flowers and then tulle ribbon for "plastic" wrapping (thank you for convincing me to take the tulle, Ken!)...

costume
costumeBelow is an in-progress shot. I started by making the felt flowers (left) and then made the costume base (right)...

costume
and here's our always-willing model, EZ E. Neither he nor his sister will be joining the tulle fanclub anytime soon...

costume

*Please note: I didn't use a pattern for this costume either, so I unfortunately don't have one to share. I'm not great at sewing, so I also can't provide much technical advice in that department. I just kind of wing it when it comes to costumes and I know that if you want to make one, you should just give it a try! :)

24 comments:

Elise said...

You are so talented and creative! I love the fact that you are such a good momma, too! Have a great Halloween with your family!

Shirley said...

Oh my goodness! How adorable! You are incredibly talented!

The Lady Nomad said...

Completely precious!

Petals said...

So adorable. You did a beautiful job.

ilana said...

abbey, she looks so cute! I love it--great work!

MagicMarkingsArt said...

Your bouquet costume is the most precious gathering of flowers ever - especially when worn by your cute little girl!

Fern and Feather said...

this is too darn cute!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Jane Flanagan said...

Oh wow - that's pretty spectacular!!

Emily said...

It's ridiculous how Awesome this costume is!

Dana said...

Winging it is the best way to go! It looks great.

Patty said...

Abbey, you are a genius!

The Stapelia Company said...

Oh my goodness, that is so cute! She looks adorable in it. Whew. Cute.

Νικόλαος Βασιλικιώτης said...

I generally love handmade stuff so this one is absolutely included.
But i always wonder,where do you get the time to do all this stuff?

TV said...

This is amazing! hats off to your creativity!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks very much, everyone! You're all very sweet and I'll be thinking about you when Kicky refuses to wear her costume on Halloween. ;) @Νικόλαος Βασιλικιώτης...I use a timer. I set it for ten minutes or whatever and try to get as much done as possible during that time. Oh, and I never sleep. :) xo, A

pinkshirtsandcarwrecks said...

FANtastic! So great!

Roseanna said...

Love it...so adorable! You did a fine job.

liv said...

How cute, but I can imagine that the tulle is itchy:)

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

She actually loves the tulle (although I agree, I thought it may be itchy too)- it's the head piece that she doesn't like. I should've known- she hates hats. :( She wore it for about two minutes on Halloween. Oh well. :)
xo,
Abbey

my name is ish said...

well, I'm glad my kids didn't go trick or treating with your kids. both costumes are incredible. you could make a fortune with whatever costume ideas are brimming in your head. seriously. hire yourself out to pottery barn kids and get rich (but only if you want to be rich - no pressure).

Amanda Kingloff said...

Simply amazing! And that little face! So cute.

Danee said...

I'm enchanted with your little angry flower.

Anneliese said...

Oh my! This is about the cutest thing I've ever seen! I love it!

Sweet sundae said...

This is the most amazingly beautiful thing ! U are super talented ! Wow ! Could u make another one ! I ll be glad to pay please please !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...