10.17.2010

First birthday...


It's official...Kicky's first birthday party is checked off my to do list. It was quite fun, as far as first birthday parties go, and I am EXHAUSTED. Kicky was apparently exhausted as well because she slept in my aunts' arms for most of the party. Here are some photos from the big day. The party was loosely designed around a hand-stitched/granny chic theme. Kicky's real name is Isla (pronounced I-La) and it's one of those old-fashioned, granny names, so I pretty much designed everything with that in mind. Her invites were designed in Illustrator and I printed them on my favorite paper (Moab Entrada).

Kicky's birthday regalia included a little headband I made for her (really simple...just ribbon, elastic, and felt), argyle tights, a fabulous little dress from Target, and an amber necklace I made for her based on Rachel's suggestion...



The favors: I used security envelopes to sew small books and secured each spine with orange masking tape. The wooden lizards/alligators came from Michael's craft store. Each one came with paint, but I decided to take them all out of the plastic packaging and stash away the paint in order to avoid a potential mess at the party itself. The favors also included a clothespin person, a pencil, and a small pumpkin. The drawstring bags were left over from a zine exchange and held everything together nicely...


Each clothespin person came with a small quantity of multi-colored felt so the kids could personalize its hair and outfit at home (I forgot to pick up glue). I painted the faces on with puff paint and cut strips of felt for the hair/outfits...


I used blue masking tape to make name tags for each bag. I just wrapped the tape around the drawstring, taped it to itself (does that make sense?), cut out the triangle shape, and wrote the names in Sharpie...


My parents had this old tool box that I piled all of the favor bags in. Each kiddo picked his or her own pumpkin...


When we asked EZ E what he wanted to give his sister, without hesitating he answered, "A box of rabbits.". He then proceeded to tell me how the rabbits would hop and follow him all over the house and love him. We went the fake rabbit route...


and he seemed pretty OK with that. In fact, he named one of the rabbits 'Beverly' and another "Rick'. We don't personally know anyone named Beverly or Rick, but now I suppose we do, right? Beverly is the fuzzy rabbit and Rick is the one with blue pom poms (just in case you should meet them in person someday)...


I hate sheet cake. Hate it. It usually tastes bad and no one ends up eating it, so I decided to make five different types of bundt cakes. My mom was in the UK for work all week and, at the last minute, I sort of panicked about making five cakes. My best friend's mom (who also happens to be my mom's best friend...got that?) saved my life and volunteered to make three of the five. She made two chocolate cakes and one pumpkin. They were absolutely delicious and are now completely gone...


I made a lemon cake and a berry buttermilk cake and put my mom's cake stand collection to good use. The little cake flags were made using misprinted invitations...


The alphabet cake candles came from our local party store. Love them...


I made a quilt for Kicky and ended up using it as a tablecloth. The forks and napkins were stashed in a vintage beverage caddie (that I fell for and ended up stealing from my parents)...


I designed the bunting in illustrator and then just printed it on card stock, cut it out, and strung ribbon through it...


The pom pom garlands (if I never see another pom pom...) were hung everywhere and so were balloons...




I lined my parents' yard with pink fabric flags so folks could spot the party easier. I bought fake white pumpkins and, in a moment of sheer obsessive behavior (shocking, right?!), I puff painted a cross-stitch inspired pattern on them. Luckily we'll have them forever...


Here's one of the fake pumpkins nestled amongst real pumpkins on the front porch. My mom bought these beautiful mums that brightened up the front lawn...


And, finally, here we all are (please excuse the grainy photo). This is me after nineteen glasses of wine and after having unsuccessfully attempted to tame my Goldberg haircut. Everyone else looks cute though...


So, that's it. Hooray! Kicky and EZ E are tooling around our house now, playing with a massive amount of new toys. Thanks to everyone who helped celebrate Kicky's big day and a special thanks to Grandma Smith for all of her help. I'm taking tomorrow (Monday) off to spend with our birthday girl and to start Halloween costumes. Let the crafting continue!

26 comments:

Evelyn Campbell Curtis said...

I love the name Isla. Timeless! Looks like a beautiful party! ;)

yellow hall studio. said...

Wow! My son's first birthday is in a few months and I've been throwing ideas around in my head for quite some time now. But your party...Wow...I'm tired just from looking at the photos! Very impressive!

yhs.

Mandy said...

some fantastic ideas there...hanks for sharing...xxx

Anna said...

What a beautiful party!! You did so much work! Those little cake garlands are adorable. Would love to know how you put those together...

Emily said...

Okay, my sister and I were just drooling over those cakes- YUM!

The pom garlands look fantastic, when my son was EZ E's age, he had an imaginary dog named Russel so I wouldn't worry too much about Beverly and Rick:) , Kicky's argyles are *killin* me, and you are a rockstar with those gift bags (love the notebooks)!

No wonder you are exhausted! But that last family photo of you guys makes it all worth it. And you don't look like Goldberg! ;)

Aimee said...

Isla is such a beautiful name! Evertything about this party looks adorable - and I LOVE the Bundt cakes! My favorite! I only wish I had room to store multiple cake stands. Awesome job, Abby!

Mamabear said...

wow! That was an amazing job decorating! So creative and fun!

erika said...

Hi, I found you via Party perfect, what a great party you made for your daughter, I love the theme and all the details, just perfect!!

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

Oh My God! This look amazing. Such hard work and every detail is beautiful. What a perfect first birthday party. I wish we could have been there to celebrate with you. I was thinking about all of you all day. xoxoxo!

ps-that bunting is perfection.

Tilda B. Hervé said...

wow, you are crazy, so much work!!! mmh, next friday is my babyboy's first birthday... ;-)

MagicMarkingsArt said...

How nice to see images of your finished pieces - and to know your hard work was appreciated by all. My son celebrated his 21st b.day this past weekend as well - time does fly!

chattykathy said...

Your little boy's smile is priceless! How super adorable!!! Looks like a fun party!

Nancy said...

Wow what an incredible amount of work, but, so gorgeous! Glad you all had so much fun!

angie said...

oooh, where do you find colored masking tape??

mama river said...

Love the whole thing... just perfect!
cake bunting and clothe pin people. wonderful

Trix's Mix said...

Adorable...everything!
And happy 1st birthday Isla!

chiara said...

awesome party. the painted punpkins are wonderful! i love it all! thanks for sharing.

pinkshirtsandcarwrecks said...

Love it! Especially the pompoms and the puff painted pumpkin (go letter p!)

Wolfie and the Sneak said...

you are amazing. i don't know how you do it!

Amy G. said...

I seriously LOVE the parties you throw for your children. They are adorable, well thought out, well planned, have a running theme throughout everything. Plus they are just the cutest! Someday when I have kids, I'll strive to put together a birthday party for them such as you do.

Dale - 1st brithday party entertainer said...

I love the sox. They rock!

jen said...

everything looks so amazing and beautiful! congrats with it all : )

Jenn @ The 31 Years said...

My son's first birthday party was yesterday...I saw the 'granny chic' description on a blog your party was featured on and had to come see...if I had a girl she would totally rock granny chic. I love the part about 'after 19 glasses of wine' :)

MISS YVONNE said...

how adorable, you are one very talented lady and inspire the rest of us. thank you. :)

Valerie said...

What fonts and brush did you use for the border and pictures? I would love to do something like this.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Hi, Valerie-

I actually did it all by hand in Photoshop (almost like sewing on the computer). Tedious! :) There are some sewing fonts on da font, though. Good luck!

:) Abbey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...