8.23.2010

How to...


As promised, here's a butterfly finger puppet tutorial (please excuse the wonky color)...

  • Step 1: Choose felt colors and find a template. I already had a Martha Stewart butterfly shape, so I traced that onto card stock. Once you find a clip art butterfly shape that you like, make sure you like the size, print it onto card stock, cut it out, and you're ready to go!
  • Step 2: Trace your template twice; one butterfly shape per color of felt. I used a sharpie marker so it would show up easily for the tutorial, but chalk would also work (and would come off).
  • Step 3: Cut out two butterfly shapes.
  • Step 4: Cut a small half circle out of your left over felt. This little half circle is what makes the puppet a puppet.

  • Step 5: Sew the half circle onto the back of butterfly.
  • Step 6: Draw out your butterfly design. I drew freehand tear drop shapes, but you can make it any shape you wish. Again, I used sharpie for the tutorial but it would probably be better to use chalk.
  • Step 7: I couldn't find my tiny scissors so I used my giant beasts and simply cut small slits in the middle of each tear drop shape to get it started.
  • Step 8: Trim around the edges of each tear drop shape.
  • Step 9: Lay your two butterfly shapes together. Make sure that the half circle shape is on the outside/back BEFORE you sew the two shapes together (can you tell that I made that mistake?)
  • Step 10: Sew along the edge to join the two shapes together. I just used a simple running stitch.
  • Step 11: Your two shapes, like mine, may not line up perfectly. Use a small pair of scissors to very carefully trim along the edge. I would recommend just trimming the back edge instead of both at the same time.
  • Step 12: For this puppet, I used french knots to make the spots. Here is an excellent french knot tutorial that I found online. For the first puppet, however, I just used puff paint which proved to be waaayyyy easier.

Enjoy your puppet and please let me know if you have any questions!

13 comments:

One Blonde Girl said...

Love the butterfly. Just noticed you were a Blogger "Blogs of Note" on the 19th. Congrats!

ampersand-design.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for this Abbey.

I think even I will be able to do this. Hopefully make some for my nieces next weekend who are butterfly mad.

Thanks again.

Sandy K

Bethany said...

I LOVE this tutorial!! So bright and cheery. And easy. My favorite :)

Julie Spano said...

love this project. and it doesn't look like something i'll totally mess up!

FairiesNest said...

That's adorable!

SuzieT said...

So cute. I have the urge to get creative!

Yvonne, Handcrafter and owner of Flirty Gull LLC said...

The butterfly is adorable! You're very creative!

lilmissshortee said...

Beautiful little butterfly,
I love your blog- you have a great skill and eye for beautiful things.

Chrysalis said...

Love it love it love it love it!!

sarah said...

adorable! and what a great idea for the classroom. any more suggestions for different creations??

Meg said...

How cute! Thanks for sharing this!

hanci06 said...

Made that! Look at http://strasilo.blogspot.com/2010/09/leptiricu-sarenicu.html
Tnx for tutorial!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Abbey, thanks for the inspiration. It came at just the right moment. I made it. Best, KJ

http://letsgoflyakiteuptothehighestheight.blogspot.com/2010/09/monarch-migration-in-felt.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...