5.24.2010

Real life...


I've written and rewritten this post a million times. Monday mornings are usually about art around here, but today I need to start the day out differently. I've been thinking a lot about Aesthetic Outburst and about what exactly it is that I'm doing here. I started this blog three years ago, never expecting it to be read by anyone other than my mother and grandmother. Happily it's turned into so much more than I imagined. I love being here every day and I've loved meeting so many amazing people. Lately, however, I've been feeling really overwhelmed and, well, just plain sad.

Moving from a city that we loved to the rural area close to our families has been a challenge. PRH and I want EZ E and Kicky to have wonderful relationships with their grandparents and uncles and aunts and cousins, but with that closeness comes a host of issues and emotions that we haven't really had to deal with since we left this area nine years ago. Frankly, even after almost an entire year has passed, it's something that I'm still very much struggling with. I'm working on it though.

So what exactly am I trying to say? I'm definitely NOT leaving Aesthetic Outburst, but I do need to scale back a little here. I'm not sure what that means yet, but my plan is to be more flexible and to be more present. My "real life" needs me. I'll still be posting on a regular basis, just perhaps not three times each day. It's really not a big deal, but I felt that some explanation was in order. You're all so incredibly sweet and supportive and I truly appreciate it. Thank you for reading my little blog. I'll see you again tomorrow!
xo,
Abbey

15 comments:

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

I think this is such a good decision. I have heard that moving can be emotionally similar to the death of a relative - it's hard and it takes a long time to heal and move on, especially when you make such a big move from an urban area to a rural one. Taking time out for yourself and scaling back will just mean that your posts will be more meaningful and will help free up some extra time in real life. Many hugs!!! xoxoxoxo

RachelDenbow said...

you're a good mama to be able to pull back and give yourself and your family what you guys need. i hope things balance out as soon as you need them to.

laurie in georgia said...

I totally know what you mean. Years ago (read: before people were really using email and the internet), I kissed my boyfriend goodbye, promised to write everyday, and boarded a plane for Scotland where I was to be an exchange student for a year. True to my word (and more than a little love- and homesick), I wrote every single day for the first five months. Well, as you can imagine, that took quite a bit of time, and around Christmas time when I was feeling the most down and lost, I finally realized how much I'd been missing. I'd been spending so much of my time on the sidelines observing and too little in the game playing. (Please forgive the sports metaphor...) Anyway, I stopped writing so much and started getting out, making friends, looking around. I felt so much better. I know it's not the same situation, but there you have it. I'm sure this was a difficult decision to make, and we'll miss you, but I hope you, too, feel so much better. Cheers, Laurie

Ellie said...

Your blog is a favorite and you are beyond generous to put so much time towards it. Take care of yourself first and foremost, then your family. We'll be here waiting! Thanks so much for all you do.

All the best— Ellie from San Diego

Kickcan and Conkers said...

I love your blog. I'm sure taking time out will help you take stock, move forward and make your posts all the more interesting.

DawnMarie said...

I enjoy your blog. I also know the time involved with having one. Hence why I am a reader of blogs but not an acutal blogger. Good for you for realizing what is needed in life right now. Life is a constant evaluation and re evaluation. The perfect balance is there.

Amy said...

Go for it, Abbey! When real life calls, we must listen. Those beautiful babies of yours won't be tiny forever (although, sometimes it feels like they will!) and you have to give yourself what you need, too. We'll still be here!
xoxo.

Amiable Peculiarities said...

Will Still be checking in here regularly. Wishing you the best!

Katie Runnels said...

Oh, Abbey! I think I'm experiencing a somewhat similar struggle...thank you for sharing! Not to worry...we'll all be snooping around here to follow you on your adventures...wherever they take you!
lots of love and peace to you!!! xoxo
katie

Joetta M. said...

he is so ridiculously adorable- enjoy.

Robin and Mould said...

I know what you mean.. I moved from London to the Wiltshire countryside four years ago to be nearer to family and afford a house. Only now am I getting used to the change in lifestyle and really enjoying being so close to family. But Ru my 20 month old loves it and them - now we can step out the door and see horses, geese, sheep, cows, chickens and tractors within five minutes. He's in heaven! Not to mention the handy babysitting options for us!!
Anyway I love your blog but know how long they take to create.. so good decision I think and I'll still be reading.

sosser said...

you know what you need. keep listening to that voice. whatever you decide to do next, i have a feeling it will be fabulous!

xo

sosser

Anonymous said...

Hey Abbey, I read your blog most days when I can (I have an active 16 month old.) You constantly remind me of my love of art and creating things, even if I don't seem to do it much these. Your blog is such a wonderful place to visit. I say all this for two reasons, firstly, to say 'thank you' and secondly to encourage you to scale back and do it when you fell like it. Even if I only visited the site once a week I know it would be an enjoyable visit. Have a fabulous time with your beautiful family. Allyson

jan said...

i totally know where you're coming from and respect your decisions. you are a good mama - like rachel says.

Jessica said...

If you are ever visiting your old hometown, let me know, I'd be happy to meet up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...